Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ICD3

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2010 - » Archive through 11 May, 2010 » ICD3 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 147

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 22 April, 2010 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At present I have an ICD2. Some devices will die if I try to use this unit as they are not 5V tolerant on the power rail (eg, PIC18F46J50).

I notice that the PicKit2 seems cheap, the ICD3 not so. I think both support low-Vdd devices.

Has anyone out there used the ICD3 ? Is it worth me upgrading ?

The ICD3 blurb mentions "Full-Speed Real-time Emulation". I don't know exactly how this differs from the ICD2.

It also mentions "multiple breakpoints" - I don't know how many though.

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1124

Posted on Thursday, 22 April, 2010 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you are developing PIC software professionally them you want all the help you can get to debug software as quickly as possible. I write lots of PIC code ( as you might have guessed! ) but I'm very happy with my PicKit2. You might want to look at the PicKit3 though, as the PicKit2 does not have support for all Pic processors.

Regards,

Mike

epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: epithumia

Post Number: 724

Posted on Thursday, 22 April, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can use the ICD2 with 3V devices if they have their own PSU, and you set the ICD2 to external supply.

At least, I've used it that way and not fried anything.

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 148

Posted on Friday, 23 April, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that advice Epi. It means I can use my existing ICD2 for now.

I had been wondering if the ICD3 would be so much better than the ICD2 or PICkit 2 that it would be worth buying.
I now think not.

ICD2
64-bit O/S (VISTA, Win 7 x64) supported by newer MPLAB ICD 2 debuggers (P/N 10-00397).
That means my older ICD2 (P/N 10-00319) needs 32-bit O/S (Win 7 x32 etc)
" ICD 2 is not recommended for new designs and will not support new MCU or dsPIC devices released after September 2010."

ICD3
Fast programming
Complex Trigger Breakpoints
Can NOT reprogram a device even if the MCLR pin is used as a digital input (see link below)
software breakpoints BUT
"Using software breakpoints for debug impacts device endurance. Therefore,
it is recommended that devices used in this manner not be used as
production parts."

PICkit 2
On-the-go programming
Good device support
Inexpensive
General good impression from many websites
Can reprogram a device even if the MCLR pin is used as a digital input (see link below)

PICkit 3
Seems to have a bad press!

This link

-PIC18-Explorer-demo-board-td27671635.html,http://old.nabble.com/ICD3-vs-PICKit-3,-PIC18-Explorer-demo-board-td27671635.html

contains a lot of information. I have formed the impression that, if you are buying a new programmer/debugger, the Pickit 2 is very good (and PICkit3, ICD3 do not offer sufficient extra to justify extra cost, plus PICkit 3 seems to have less favourable comments 'web-wide').

For once, cheapest seems best.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page