Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Vuvuzelas...

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 20 July, 2010 » Vuvuzelas... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mee
Frequent Contributor
Username: mee

Post Number: 77

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 17 June, 2010 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something's been nagging me for a few days. It's the problem with the horns at the football matches. Hope I got the spelling of the horns right.

The so called acoustics expert featured in all the news stories said that the solution, i.e. a notch filter, would cause problems with the speech from the commentary. Most of us would have predicted that I'm sure.

Notch filter? Why? Sample sound from just outside the commentator's booth, sample sound from inside the booth, invert one and add. Phase shift as necessary.

The argument from my football fan mate is that it would also drown out the crowd. Then sample the crowd from behind the focus of the horns, and add a little of that recording to the result of the previous noise cancelling.

When the horns are blowing, you can't hear the crowd anyhow.

It's got to be better than listening to a match with a whizzer in each ear.

By the way, the first and (probably) last football match that I went to was Feyenoord v Ajax in Rotterdam. It would have been nice to have had a pillow...

Cheers, M

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 502

Posted on Thursday, 17 June, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a better idea: shoot anyone in possession of such a horn.

kolbep
Frequent Contributor
Username: kolbep

Post Number: 91

Posted on Friday, 18 June, 2010 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just being in South Africa is hazardous to your health and sanity at the moment.

I live about 120Km from the nearest stadiums, but there are still hooligans running around the streets at all hours blowin in that monotonous tone.

As for the announcers,etc
Don't they always bring the stadium crowds into the mix already. It will be easy enough for them to bring that fader down. But then they will loose the croud ambience, and the players shouting, etc (which you can barely hear already).

Come to think of it, yes, you are right, lets shoot them

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 871

Posted on Saturday, 19 June, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Peter,

Two world cups ago, it was possible to hear shouting of players / coachs. Somebody with knowledge of the soccer environment, said that it all depends where they put special (directive?) microphones for that.

Cursing (from our players) was easy to understand (albeit just by lip reading it was easy too - at least for me that I can do reasonably well). The more or less official local video from 1978 has good takes for that excercise.

The comment here in B. A. is that vuvuzelas does not allow players listening each other, much less Diego Maradona. They are used here as well, but as far as I know, not THAT much.

Wish they were prohibited from the beginning.

Annoying? Yes, much! Shooting? Yes, please do it!
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 669

Posted on Sunday, 20 June, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I'm out of it now but BBC practice, and commercial firms' I'm sure, was to use a lip microphone for the commentator. These used a ribbon diaphragm which at such a close range caused increased bass response from the voice; the bass-cut filter necessary gave quite a reasonable effect to the crowd noise. A crowd effects microphone was then added into the mix to give a reasonable total output. The skill then lies in using a suitable FX mic in the right position to give the crowd effect one requires.

I wouldn't dream of bothering to watch a football match, now or any other time, but if these horns are as widespread as people say, they will be unavoidable. The answer is either a new "standard" of commentary output which has much less crowd noise, or possibly two sets of effects mics in areas representing each team but without the horns - say, the managers/coaches/officials boxes. These would give a reasonably balanced view, but hornless, of the match.

It's always possible to use some deception of course, but much to be deprecated. Just as "canned laughter" was added to audience shows, some skilfully balanced anonymous crowd noise could be added. I never watched horse racig either but I believe that some years ago, when the first horse left the ground at a jump, they all did!

When I were a lad, living three miles from the Molyneux ground at Wolverhampton, one could easily hear the roar from the stadium - well, they had proper crowds in those days, 60,000 on good days! We probably wouldn't have heard the horns too much so it may be possible perhaps to pick up the crowd FX from outside the stadium if anyone could be bothered to experiment and do the job properly...

Regards Ant

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page