Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

When in UK - Renewed feeling

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 02 November, 2014 » When in UK - Renewed feeling « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1576

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taking advantage of a voyage to Europe related to my activity, I went to Liverpool where I met a friend that I have not seen in almost 30 years, having spent two memorable good days.

The point of this post, is just to comment the renewed impresion I get every time when in UK.

Friendly and helpful people that makes you to feel at ease, even if you try to climb stairs through the right side. (Don't worry, I didn't try to drive there).

And I am talking about people that does not know you at all starting with the Immigration Officer at Manchester Airport.

Gratifying experience and a good reason to post here.

(Message edited by atferrari on 13 October, 2014)
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 871

Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Augustin, that's nice to hear.

In the UK, we tend to run ourselves down a bit and perhaps we should have more confidence.

You are very welcome here - sadly I am the other end of the country, South East, not North West!

mark_r_abcd
Regular Contributor
Username: mark_r_abcd

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Augustin. Did you make the train journey to the North East (Hull, was it?) that you were asking about previously?

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1577

Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to the .pdf suggested by Paul Bowden I got a clear idea what it the different options would take, so I finally arranged a somewhat tight schedule for flying just with time enough at each place but not using the train.

When arriving at L'pool I realized that my visit was so important to me that I discarded even going to the suggested electronic stores.

Many many years ago, a cousin of mine whose sister was stewardess in one of our airlines found out that his "sublo" ticket (subject to location) was about to expire during the weekend.

Friday PM he took the plane to Madrid knowing he should return not later that Sunday AM. Once arrived, Saturday morning, he went for a walk in downtown where he run across a hardware store. Recalling he needed some small nails, he bought them.

On Monday, back at home, when asked why he went to Madrid for such a short time he said: "To buy these nails".

I am planning now to go again to L'pool to buy just two 2N3904 I have not in stock.

(Message edited by atferrari on 14 October, 2014)

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 371

Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Agustin,
Glad your trip here went ok. I hope the rest of your journey went well too.

It's a shame you can't e-mail components - else I'd put some 2N3904's in the post for you!!

I guess you caught the tail-end of the summery weather we had last week - its all change now, with bands of rain and windy weather forecast for this week.

All the best, Paul.

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1578

Posted on Wednesday, 15 October, 2014 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola Paul

A satisfactory journey let me say. Because of a delay, I skept the last stage (Germany) but I knew it could happen.

We had rain at Liverpool twice but sun as well.

Had the pleasure to recognize the pier where we went alongside some 30 years ago. Our vessel (bulk carrier) was discharged completely...to trucks!, hence the long time spent there.

I have never met again ashore, fog like we had in that oportunity. We could not see anything beyond maybe 10 meters! I recall policemen guiding people to reach our vessel in night time!

From the plane I could see the windmill parks planted near the waterway. Extra complication to cross those waters, far more difficult than the Gibraltar or Malaca straits.

Good experience.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page