Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Programming questions

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 08 July, 2015 » Programming questions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 697

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm retrieving a 'screen dump' (just a list of 32 bytes) from a PIC/16x2 alphanumeric display. I have a problem showing special characters (user-defined) on the PC because they do not exist in any Windows font.

I could maybe write a custom routine that intercepts these values (0..7) then show a custom icon.

Ideally though, I'd like to just print (on a Windows control) with a font where I've defined some custom character representations.

So, basically, is there an easy way to copy an existing font, then modify the definitions?

I understand that TTFs are extremely complicated, so I'd be looking at something like "Terminal" or "Console".

In summary: can I take an existing non-TTF font and customise it a little?

---

Another question: Is there a standard way to query a website (assuming I own it) and, based on that query (GET..) inform the user of some PC-connected firmware that 'updates to the firmware are available?'

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 228

Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many many google hits for free TTF font editors, do they not do what you want or have I misunderstood what you need?.

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 699

Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2015 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might - I looked into it a while back: I had the impression they were not so easy to get started with: You're working with vectors for a start, and I would like a "pixelated" style output - like the LCD itself.

One obvious problem is that my input font would not be a TTF font. It has to be easy to edit it as "blocks/big pixels" - maybe "Terminal"?

Something like a scalable "sprite" would be about right.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page