Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

HDD Help!

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 12 January, 2008 » HDD Help! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

raptor
Regular Contributor
Username: raptor

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 04 January, 2008 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might remember me the guy that asked how to rescue data from a corrupt HDD.
Well, I've just had a new problem with my new HDD, I guess it has had its MBR corrupted. So, I used MS recovery console and used fixmbr.
After that, I stil couldn't boot from it, so I used knoppix (linux) live so that I could check it's problem. Knoppix said that the filesystem was FAT16, which in fact it should be NTFS.
C. Sciberras

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 383

Posted on Friday, 04 January, 2008 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember your earlier post, but could you install the HDD in another PC, read the data you need off it onto the HDD in the second PC, then reinstall it in the original PC.

You will then be able to format, reload your OS and recapture your data from the other PC via a cable connection, or reinstall it back in the second PC and reverse the process.

Otherwise, sounds like lots of utilities!

NTFS is now the preferred format for later versions of Windows. I have no experience of Linux.

raptor
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 33

Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People have been telling me to recover my HDD's data, but how can I do that if it changed to FAT16 from NTFS? From Knoppix, when I access the HDD I just see a jumbled up list of files and empty folders with strange names and chacters.
C. Sciberras

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 292

Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might have success if you mount the drive manually, specifying the filesystem explicitly:

eg: mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

If it auto-mounts on boot, you'll have to unmount it before you can remount it...

eg: umount /mnt/hdb1

NB: that is UMOUNT, *NOT* UNMOUNT
And you probably have to log in as root (tricky on a Live Knoppix distro), - or it will complain that only root is allowed to do that - but you can easily start a root shell, or SuDo mount it:

eg: sudo mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

See here for all kinds of mount options:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount

raptor
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try that, thanks steerpike. Also thanks to dave_g.
NB: I'm trying Knoppix' TestDisk, hope it works...
Kind regards,
Christian
C. Sciberras

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 296

Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard - but never tested - that not all Linux implementations of NTFS can reliably WRITE to an NTFS partition, but they are 100% good for reading. (why I used the -r [=read only] switch in my example).

So it's probably not a good idea to try any partition repair work under Linux, unless you know which NTFS driver you have. If you just want to recover the data, this is no drawback.

(for those who want the full support under Linux, search for Captive NTFS. Captive NTFS will never be bundled as part of a ready-made distro because it violates the GPL licence in that it uses MS's own windoze driver)

steve1957a
Username: steve1957a

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi
i would take the drive out and put it as a slave in another machine or as a slave in yours
and try do a rebuild of the mbr again the linux test may not see the xp ntsf as proper so report it as fat
i used to use fdisk/mbr but cant find fdisk on my xp machine any more i bet if you look on the net someone will have some software to do that
also try this site it has free software to recover lost files may be helpfull its german but program in english
http://www.pcinspector.de/
regards steve payne

steve1957a
Valued Member
Username: steve1957a

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi here what it says on the website

PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x is a data recovery program that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. The current version 4.x replaces the previous version 3.x, which is now over 6 years old.

Here are some of the new features in PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x

» Finds partitions automatically, even if the boot sector or FAT has been erased or damaged

» Recovers files with the original time and date stamp

» Supports the saving of recovered files on network drives

» Recovers files, even when a header entry is no longer available. Competition products cannot recover such files. The "Special Recovery Function" supports the following disk formats:

ARJ AVI BMP CDR DOC DXF DBF XLS

EXE GIF HLP HTML HTM JPG LZH MID
I have used their other free program and recovered pics from a deleted sd camera card so
their software does work
its not everyday you get something free that really is usefull

regards

steve payne

raptor
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all! Your quite a helpfull community, I award you that.
mount/unmount - didn't work, it keep saying FAILED (mah I hate caps, espeical in this case...)
testdisk - doesn't seem to do nothing at all.

I'll try both options.
Thanks and kind regards,
Christian
C. Sciberras

raptor
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, 09 January, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played around with testdisk and finally it found the backup boot sector.
The harddisk recovered totally with all files intact, except my windows XP is broken. I intended to copy all to a temp disk, install XP and getting everything back.

Thanks guys for all help!
C. Sciberras

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page