Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ADSL and some of its problems

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 26 April, 2008 » ADSL and some of its problems « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 563

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After fighting with the operators attending my claims for continuous interruptions of my ADSL service, now I am getting a more or less decent service.

Yesterday, I found that two unknown guys were using my connection to do I don't know what.

After seeing my modem blinking crazily, with the "netstat" command I could see "microsoft-ds ......." and "vericurious.com", happily full ahead.

The first seems to be scanning something from 1 to 255, non-stop and seems to delay my own traffic sometimes. The other sends continuously, God knows what. (My boring Survey reports??)

Googling is just good to get thousand of guesses but nobody seems to know what they are. (Even opinions are contradictory altogheter).

Fed up of all that I finally restored my system (XP with firewall enabled) to two days back condition. For the moment they didn't come back.

Comments anyone?
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 582

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the story of someone whose wifi was being stolen, so he hacked the system to force all downloaded images to appear either upside down or out of focus in the thief's web browser:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Are you using a modem or a router? Is your wireless network secured?
ARW

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 564

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My modem Huawei SmartAX MT810 gets a connection to the phone line through a splitter. Nothing else.

Windows XP firewall enabled plus AVG free installed with a daily scanning of the whole computer.

The PC is alone. No network.

That's all to it.

(Message edited by atferrari on 21 April, 2008)

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 565

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I knew all he knows to deal with Internet and the like!

Can imagine the reaction of people using his wifi connection....

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 583

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Agustin

I'm not sure how your ADSL is being stolen if you are directly connected to your line via a modem? I could understand it if wireless access was involved.

A modem is never a good idea. It makes your IP address visible on the Internet, and it's an open invitation to hackers. The Windows firewall is not brilliant. A router is preferable, as it has a built-in hardware firewall, which your PC hides behind. It's only the router's IP address that the outside world sees.

There may be some malware residing on your hard disk already, which is trying to reach out onto the Internet.

As an urgent priority I would download free Spybot Search & Destroy ONLY FROM THIS ADDRESS

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

hth
ARW

condor316
Just joined
Username: condor316

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2008 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Agustin,
I would have to agree with ARW. A router would be the very first itme that I would get, along with spybot S & D.
It sounds like this is a case of someone connecting to your computer from the internet, rather than accessing your connection to use the internet (some form of DoS attack maybe). Maybe someone running a port scan on your IP address.
The microsoft-ds connection is fine btw, although it should be in listening mode, not scanning! If you run "netstat -t" without the quotes it will give you more of an idea what is happening.
Any connection that is in the "listening" mode is referring to an "open port" in your firewall. You should be able to close this in windows firewall, unless it is a port that is required to be open by the OS! Again a hardware firewall will not have any incoming ports open, unless you set them up manually, thus protecting you from this sort of attack.

(Message edited by Condor316 on 21 April, 2008)

(Message edited by Condor316 on 21 April, 2008)

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 566

Posted on Saturday, 26 April, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola Steve,

You both have convinced me. I have to spend some money here.

Yesterday, after coming back from a vessel that got me five days out of town I downloaded Sypbot Search & Destroy. God! what a long time it used.

Found several bots but no these two.

Restored the system and everything is fine...by now.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page