Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Microwave cooking dangers?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 10 January, 2009 » Microwave cooking dangers? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 378

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I'm not a "faddy" person, not given to worries about ill-effects that may be caused by modern science and technology.

But I was interested to see that microwave ovens may be inimical to our health by virtue of changed food quality, and that the Russians have apparently banned their use since 1976. In an article I've just read, they were invented by the Nazis to prepare food for advancing forces not by an American who discovered a melted chocolate bar in his breast pocket, so that taints microwave ovens from the start!

More, plain-English and serious, explanations welcome!

Regards Ant

ant
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 379

Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all again,

Subject to better-informed opinion I think I shall take no further notice of this business...

Regards again Ant again

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 421

Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2008 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Russians have apparently banned their use since 1976

That may be, but it might have had more to do with the cold war and what you can do with a magnetron besides heat the dog food.

An interesting book on magnetrons: Robert Buderi "The invention that changed the world"

alexr
Regular Contributor
Username: alexr

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given that it takes a magnetron to generate microwaves of sufficient power to cook food and the fact that the Nazis did not possess a magnetron until the later half of WW2 (courtesy shot down allied bombers) by which time their troop were retreating rather than advancing I tend to doubt the accuracy to the your article.

As for the claim that microwave ovens change food quality, all cooking does that. As far as I know of the numerous trials done none has found any health hazard linked to microwave cooking.

ant
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 380

Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I think most of the articles I saw before I gave up were either deeply-technical articles which acknowledged that microwaves _can_ change some microscopic substances into others, but it probably doesn't matter and I don't think anyone's gone deeply into it. Microwave irradiation can be/is used in some genetic work. But the other articles are frighteners: the sort that tell you that microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976 but don't tell you that they are now legal and freely available! These articles make much of scientific words like mega- giga- and radiation too...

There might be something in an alleged case where blood was warmed in a microwave before transfusion and that is not normally done; the patient died but there are no more details as far as I looked.

Sorry, I think this was a red herring post!

Regards Ant

tvmender
Frequent Contributor
Username: tvmender

Post Number: 158

Posted on Sunday, 30 November, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

Has anyone warmed Ferric Chloride in a microwave?

Just curious, I dont want to try it on mine as the wife would get a little upset.

- Tvmender
"Nothing unreal exists"

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 477

Posted on Sunday, 30 November, 2008 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have warmed Ferric Chloride solution in the microwave in a plastic/glass jar with the plastic(not metal!) lid on loose(to avoid any splattering into the microwave oven), and it warms up okay. I use the half power setting, and check the temperature every minute or so. I give it a swirl after checking, and warm it up to about 40C, which lowers the etching time quite a bit.

(Message edited by gordon on 30 November, 2008)

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 862

Posted on Monday, 22 December, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likewise, I used to warm ferric Chloride in the Microwave, just till it become warm. Then I put the container in another container with hot water.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page