Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hola Thomas in SA!

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 30 March, 2009 » Hola Thomas in SA! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 672

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 09 March, 2009 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola Thomas,

To avoid invading the other thread I am posting here. Me too, since long time I have been trying to contact you but yours, mine (or both) serves do not go along well.

My messages never left my PC!! Something at you server seems to discourage mine.

Could you suggest how to contact you? No, I am not trying to obtain preferencial seats for the Soccer World Cup. Just a little chat.

Could you please use the address shown in my site? Changing the "web" part into "box" is an option too.

Gracias.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: thomas

Post Number: 274

Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2009 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Agustín, At last, some form of contact. I am "chasing my tail" till the end of this week, so I shall return to this. In the meantime, just to let you know how pleased I am to hear from you. I visited the local slipway this morning (see photo -- just over 2km north of the church).

Slipway

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 674

Posted on Friday, 13 March, 2009 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, finally we are in contact again. I came this afternoon to Bolivia where I expect to spend more than 10 days at Puerto Aguirre. Lots of mosquitos. Hope to have access to Internet there.

Is that your boat?

thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: thomas

Post Number: 278

Posted on Wednesday, 18 March, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola Agustin,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to get in touch. It is good to see that you are still the Great Innovator! I was impressed by your workshop in downtown Buenos Aires, and was pleased to have the opportunity to look in. I hope also that you continue to have success in your pursuit of brigands on high seas and rivers!

It has been a good 2-3 years since I saw you.

The Church has gone well. This year, the Church has been full, or close to full, nearly every Sunday. That is not to say that it is without its challenges! We have a very special congregation -- a cultural melting pot in urban Cape Town. It is such a pleasure to have such a diverse congregation. Here is a photo of our worship team (below) -- which is different every Sunday. The young man on the far left is a Canadian intern who will be with us for the duration of 2009. I have enjoyed having an intern.

I have completed a final draft of my final Master’s thesis -- but the process has been so slow. Half of my Master’s studies have been tied up with waiting on my professors! I don’t understand how some people manage to blitz a Master’s degree! Anyway, feedback at this (final) stage is good, and all looks promising.

I had rheumatic fever, as I think you know, and was in Intensive Care, strung up with wretched wires and pipes. After that, it took me a long time to regain my strength. It was a real struggle. But now I am quite well again. I am in robust health again.

I think you know that I drive a three-wheel Bajaj. This was breaking down too often, and spending too long in the workshop -- so I just ordered another one! Then I can rotate them when one is in the workshop! Here is a photo of my vehicle parked next to the Thai Tuk-Tuk. I am buying my second Bajaj second-hand. It has only travelled 7,000 or so kilometres, its tyres are still very good, and so on. But it had been left standing outside for a long time, so it was full of surface rust. I am buying it at a third of the price -- plus the cost of restoration.

There is a farm on the Great Berg River, about 150km north of here, where I go from time to time to rest and study -- and I take my Bajaj to get there -- a slow journey.

Son Matthew graduated last year with a Bachelor of Science in Geographical and Environmental Science and Archaeology. Now he is doing Honours.

I have done little electronics lately. But that has not prevented me from winning a few prizes. I won an oscilloscope in November, and a piece of test gear this month. I have many complete ideas in my head, but too little time or will to transfer them to paper.

By the way, I keep a ministry blog at http://thomasscarborough.blogspot.com. It is a fairly popular blog. It is high in the Southern African charts. It is more of a “private” blog, not intended for our own Church people. But then, less than a fifth of our congregation have a computer.

I hope the mosquitoes in Puerto Aguirre are not “day mosquitoes”. Those are terrible.

My boat? You are joking.

Do you still dream of Cordoba?

With kindest regards,
Thomas.

Worship Team

Bajaj Tuk-Tuk

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 675

Posted on Tuesday, 24 March, 2009 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we are in touch again. Good to hear from you Thomas!

I am leaving Bolivia tomorrow. The (mine) job here was completed successfully. Now the machines are going uphill to the mine, when rain permits.

Sure we have mosquitoes which show at any time of the day as soon as it gets cloudy and always when sun sets. Repelent creams do very little!!

There is lot to be said but I am in a hurry now. Thanks God the hotel has Internet so I can keep an eye on my office too.

My next try when I reach Bs. As will be to try reaching you through common email.

I recall seeing thre-wheels in Filippines and Shri Lanka but no in Durban or Richards Bay (admitting that my stay there was quite short.

Next time I will talk about electronics, basically some ideas that I never put into practice up to now.

Good to hear all your good news.

Be well and congratulations by the prizes you won. You amaze me all the time.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page