Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Aether?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 30 March, 2009 » Aether? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 407

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 25 March, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

Are there still people who believe in aether as the medium by which radio waves travel, in any shape or form?

My immediate reaction when asked was that this belonged with theories of the flat earth or creationism but given the oddities which science keeps throwing up, perhaps I could be wrong...

Regards Ant

gajjer
Frequent Contributor
Username: gajjer

Post Number: 207

Posted on Wednesday, 25 March, 2009 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi ant
the first books I read about radio discussed the aether. It sounded a bit odd at the time as we were told that space was a vacuum - so what was the aether made of. However, now I know more, the aether seems more believeable!!!
We talk about fields as if we know what they are. We immagine lines of force and potential gradients but that doesn't really explain what happens.

Ah well back to my experiments with flogiston.

cheers
gaj

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1260

Posted on Thursday, 26 March, 2009 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I blame the chronoton particles and dark matter/dark energy/whatever the flavour of the month is in physics... :-)

gajjer
Frequent Contributor
Username: gajjer

Post Number: 212

Posted on Thursday, 26 March, 2009 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out in the garden earlier I spotted a brown hole. And it had dark matter in it. I think I'm on the brink of a discontinuity!

cheers
gaj

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 435

Posted on Sunday, 29 March, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a couple of weeks & you may see the Aether Bunny.

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 414

Posted on Monday, 30 March, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Steerpike,

Not much advance on the original question but I think you're winning on punts!

Regards Ant

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page