Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSE antivirus anyone?

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Everything else! » Archive through 26 January, 2010 » MSE antivirus anyone? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 800

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 14 December, 2009 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regret that AVG ver 9.0 became more or less like Mc Afee or Norton antivirus, delaying every single operation in my PC in an incredible way.

Like Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli I decided it was time to say goodbye. Yesterday I installed Microsoft's MSE.

With the exception that it always starts "disabled" it seems to run OK and to be less invasive. My PC runs much closer to its natural (no antivirus) speed.

Any experience with MSE anyone?

(Message edited by atferrari on 14 December, 2009)
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 802

Posted on Tuesday, 15 December, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After three restarts my HD commenced to spend most of its time, running continuously. I couldn't even open a file without having to wait for around a minute.

CPU was almost 100% commited to a frenzy activity. Transactions and use of memory noticed quite high all the time. Regret I cannot understand most of it.

No process seemed involved (not even MSE).

Uninstalled MSE. PC without it, worked quite fast again.

Every uninstall followed by a register cleaning.

Now running Avira in the quest of a reasonable slow down. So far so good (but crossing fingers...)

McAffee spirit is not dead...!

(Message edited by atferrari on 15 December, 2009)

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1367

Posted on Tuesday, 15 December, 2009 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of these programs leave stuff behind that the uninstall doesn't remove.

Norton requires a specific removal tool you need to download from their site.

Some of the others are similar.

phonoplug
Valued Member
Username: phonoplug

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, 15 December, 2009 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Been having a lot of problems with internet lately too. Pages that never quite load completely, that never load at all or take absolutely ages and need nudging with F5 (refresh) a few times before they work.

This might have been partly due to my 4-year old router that was on its last legs, but its now replaced and I still have similar problems.

Might try removing AVG for a while to see how that works.

Thats made me think a bit more about whats changed since AVG upgraded to version 9. Previously some .asp and .aspx pages froze for several seconds on loading (Farnell's website was one of these). That seems to have stopped now, so I'm wondering if AVG 8 was causing this freeze... Hmmm. Why can't we just have simple computers again...???

twintub
Regular Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, 15 December, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latest Kaspersky Internet Security Suite is just as bad - SO SLOW!

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 812

Posted on Wednesday, 16 December, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm covering A/V packages in my Net Work column periodically -- personally I'm sticking with F-Secure which is quite a slim and unintrusive program.
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at http://www.epemag3.com

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 803

Posted on Wednesday, 16 December, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not going to bore you with my progress in all this. After 48 hours, Avira seems to be "checking" everything, creating few moments where everything freezes for seconds.

One detail: when doing the system scan, better you forget your PC. It takes, most of the time, the control with 98% of the resources in use.

Otherwise, it seems to work.

After digging the settings of AVG, MSE and now Avira, it is clear that "everything" could be checked (unless you say explicity to be not).

Not easy to properly limitate the action of the AV to what you want. Well, at least for me that ignore the so many meanders of WIN XP.

Back to AVG: in their forum there are several posts complaining about the bad behavior of ver 9.0. In spite all what is said there I found necessary to move.

If worst comes to worst, I will try F-secure.

What a nice experience is using the PC with no antivirus. I find it FAST!!

mcclosda
Regular Contributor
Username: mcclosda

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2010 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
I have found AVAST quite reasonable on system resources.
Dmcc.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page