Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pi on the way

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Raspberry Pi archives » Pi on the way « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjaysharp

Post Number: 246

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 13 April, 2012 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently they're shipping :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17703852

mikehibbett
:::: Super User ::::
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 1395

Posted on Friday, 13 April, 2012 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see mine!

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1218

Posted on Friday, 13 April, 2012 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there also an issue regarding CE marking? Some disties not handling Pi without it?
Alan W -- EPE

More online resources at www.epemag.net
Personal site www.alanwinstanley.com

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor
Username: phonoplug

Post Number: 275

Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2012 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any distributor not getting involved because of that clearly aren't interested in business!

davejs
Regular Contributor
Username: davejs

Post Number: 38

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Any distributor not getting involved because of that clearly aren't interested in business!"

CE marking is mandatory in Europe.
As they are placing it on the market they are responsible and hence they are protecting their business. Large fines and even imprisonment can result from non-compliance; it only needs a complaint from a competitor to kick off the investigation procedure.
Would you expect a car distributor to sell cars that hadn't passed mandatory tests?

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 277

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if RS and Farnell are selling them...

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 278

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides - how many other development boards on the market have gone through the cost of CE marking? Hardly any. Its not much different to any circuit you might build from the pages of EPE or similar magazines. What harm will a little single board computer do in the hands of a sensible person?

joe
Username: joe

Post Number: 1294

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"sensible person".. theres your first problem... some people are idiots.

Also, this isn't a kit or project where a couple of hundred people around the world may build one; it's a pre-built device and so has to comply with certain legislation, and if the makers have their way, there will be 100 in every school and heaven knows how many of them in the home (in use by DIY's and possibly in comercial products as well).

The last thing we need is another source of RFI.

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 248

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have to CE mark a 'development' board? I was under the entirely possibly incorrect impression that a board used for development didn't have to be?

davejs
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If RS and Farnell are selling them I doubt very much if there are CE marking issues associated with the product!

This maybe of interest as it covers both the EMC and LV directives :-

EMC

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/electrical/files/emc_guide__updated_20100208_v3_en.pdf

Top of page 21
1.2.6 Products for own use
Where an apparatus is manufactured for own use, placing on the market is
considered to take place at the moment of putting into service; the
obligation to comply with the Directive begins with first use.

Section 3.2.1 about half way down Page 25

Three methods are possible for the EMC assessment:
a) Application of EMC harmonised standards;
b) An EMC assessment where no harmonised standards have been
applied and the manufacturer applies his own methodology.
c) Mixed assessment, combining the two previous methods. For example,
one could use the harmonised standards to cover emission phenomena
and a detailed technical EMC assessment for immunity aspects.
European harmonised standards provide a recognised methodology to
demonstrate compliance to the protection requirements and are usually the
preferred way to demonstrate compliance. Use of the relevant EMC
harmonised standards (method a) to cover all protection requirements is
equivalent to performing an EMC assessment. If this is not the case, he/she
will have to substantiate that the steps taken are adequate to ensure
compliance with the EMC Directive.

Low Voltage

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/electrical/files/lvdgen_en.pdf

Page 13

What must be included in the technical documentation?

22. It must include details of the design, manufacture and operation of the electrical
equipment in so far as these details are needed to assess the conformity of the
electrical equipment with the requirements of the Directive.

Accordingly, it contains:

- a general description of the electrical equipment,

- design and manufacture drawings plus diagrams of components, sub-
assemblies, circuits, etc.,

- descriptions and explanations needed to understand the above mentioned
drawings and diagrams plus the operation of the electrical equipment,

- a list of the standards used, in full or in part, and a description of the solutions
employed to meet the safety aspects of this directive when standards have not
been applied,

- the results of design calculations and of checks carried out, etc.,

- test reports (in fact, the test reports which may be available, either established
by the manufacturer or a third party).

g6osv
Frequent Contributor
Username: g6osv

Post Number: 156

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently testing was completed on 6th April and it passed testing.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Ian

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 225

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2012 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drifting from the thread slightly, but....

The legitimate appearance of the CE mark does not mean it is compliant......Take the example of the 'home network adaptors' (aka PLT - Power Line Transmission) that use the house mains wiring; These have a CE mark but they only comply with early 'draft' legislation, even though the draft status has now been superseded by ratified documents with tighter limits. These devices radiate excessive amounts of RFI from the household wiring, which they are not allowed to do as this is not part of their 'design mode'. But the Goverment turns a blind eye to it, despite it being aware of the 'non-compliance'. This makes a mockery of CE marking.

Ref: Numerous articles in "The EMC Journal":
http://www.nutwooduk.co.uk/default.aspx?id=17
(near the top of the page, click on the link "Greedy PLT document" to download a swathe of information).

echase
Frequent Contributor
Username: echase

Post Number: 628

Posted on Monday, 16 April, 2012 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting articles in that link twintub. Not time to digest many but some questions spring to mind:

1) I have Comtrend PLT adapters for my BT Vision service. I didn’t actually use them much as I installed a cable as they gobbled lots of power. Also BT sent out new ones of a different Comtrend model as they said there was a safety flaw with the case of the old ones that could get cracked and expose live parts. I wonder if this was a cover for sending out ones that were more EMC compliant. Old ones failed anyway.

2) I thought these units transmitted in the sub 150kHz range and hence were effectively exempt from EMC legislation as most/all EMC specs do not specify an emissions limit below 150kHz. Or is it non Ethernet type ones that use <150kHz, e.g. baby monitors? I am interested because I am looking at the interaction between phase controlled dimmers and these PTL devices, as dimmers can emit a lot <150kHz (more than a limit artificially derived by extrapolating the existing standards below 150kHz) and does that stop the adapter/baby monitor working? As EMC specs are mainly aimed at protecting TV/radio they don’t feel they need to quote below the long wave radio band.

3) Like it says in one article the EMC testing is done with 2 adapters plugged into adjacent sockets. Real life has many meters of twin and earth between which must radiate a lot. How much? Not that that will affect my dimmer much as it’s conduced and not radiated emissions that matter.

armadillo
Frequent Contributor
Username: armadillo

Post Number: 321

Posted on Monday, 16 April, 2012 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the trouble with trying to apply standards intended for components(modules) of a system to the complete system. It's quite possible that the PLTs comply with their standards and likewise the house wiring complies with its standard. - Put the two together - disaster.

Another prime example is running 115V equipment on a 230V supply using an autotransformer. The equipment complies with the the LVD at 115V but connect it to an autotransformer (which also complies with it's own standard) and effectively you have 115V equipment with a direct connection to 230V mains. Because both Live & Neutral are considered as hazardous and the spacings within the equipment are not designed for 230V the combination would not be likely to be considered as safe. - Certainly not by me when I worked for BSI safety testing.

Armadillo
There's no such thing as gravity..........
The earth sucks!

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 227

Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2012 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@echase

The aforementioned "Greedy PLT document" should explain all!

...but it was issued over year ago (I'm not sure whether the downloadable version ever gets updated) so should be read in conjunction with any later article published in the journal. Past journals are also available for free download, but you do have to 'register' to be able to accesss that. Doing so should get you added to their mailing list, as does visiting the free "EMC Exhibition" that occurs February (ish) each year at Newbury Racecourse.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1690

Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2012 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CE:

A.K.A. "Chinese Export"

davejs
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2012 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I think that is the most worrying thing, not so much from the EMC viewpoint but definitely from the low voltage directive stand point. Perhaps the subject where the most potential harm could occur is very young children's toys bought in good faith thinking that they conformed to CE standards when all they have done is been exported from China!
I've been examining some of the things that I've purchased directly from Hong Kong recently (RC servos, a PC scope and a Megger are examples) and all have the China Export mark which, until reading the Raspberry Pi blog, I never knew existed and thought that they conformed to EU directives. Very difficult to tell the marks apart.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1693

Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2012 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<very>

Odd that, isn't it? ROTF.

Who'd have thunk it.

As brought to you by the people who make fake hens eggs out of toxic chemicals.

echase
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 636

Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see this interface board for the Pi to enable real time applications? http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/411 Contains a PIC18F26K to provide a full range of I/O. Will sell as bare board and can install as many components as you need for you application. Should keep price down. Also will publish circuit so could clone it if want a simpler version.

Have not found out if there is a suitable fast A/D i/p on the main Pi board beyond the audio i/p.

From the Reply section of that site is:

• All Gertboard data will be made public using GPL. Bare boards will be available through the raspberry-Pi foundation. Price is not yet known, probably between 2-5 dollars. I would not make the boards yourself as you need through-hole connections.
Reply &#8595;
• p4trykx on January 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm said:
In the post about Pis GPIOs there is a note that I2C lines in the header can be reprogrammed as GPIOs.
“all the UART, SPI and I2C pins can be reconfigured as GPIO if needed.”
Did you use SDA0 and SCO0 as GPIOs?
Reply &#8595;
• Gert on January 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm said:
None of the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins are directly connected on the Gertboard. There is a patch area where the user has to wire up which GPIO pin is used where. So you can use GPIO0 and 1 for SDA0/SCO0 and connect the other GPIOS pins as you like. Currently the Gertboard has no I2C peripherals. Also I2C is a bit difficult to buffer.

ojford
Just joined
Username: ojford

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you have to CE mark a 'development' board? I was under the entirely possibly incorrect impression that a board used for development didn't have to be?"

They're not really marketing it as a development board. Of course it is, but it's being marketed for education, so yeah, it needs CE.

I just wish there was an opt-out 'I don't care about CE' check-box!

davejs
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ojford - I think you need to take a look at my earlier post (try following the links) where you'll see that any electronic device (apart from a very simple circuit using only passives) needs CE testing - yes, even that one off board you make for yourself! We are lucky that we get away with it most of the time as currently CE compliance is only policed by complaint.
With regard to your wish for an "opt-out as you don't care"; it'll never happen. Your neighbour may well care as his telly goes ape every time you switch your device on, which of course is what EMC compliance is all about.

ojford
Just joined

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@davejs

Hmm, okay. Sounds like you're much better informed than I, and I'll add those links to my Pocket queue.

I just recalled that when the news broke that RPi was being delayed for CE testing, they tried to fight it arguing that it wasn't consumers that were ordering it, so could they let the first batch go untested.

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 1144

Posted on Thursday, 03 May, 2012 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'We are lucky that we get away with it most of the time as currently CE compliance is only policed by complaint.'

Not even then, witness the PLT things that allow you to use networking via mains in your house.
They obliterate the shortwave bands.

TM

davejs
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 42

Posted on Thursday, 03 May, 2012 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Terry I guess I should have said :-
.....as currently CE compliance is only policed, at best, by complaint.
I think it is a worrying sign of the times that few of the regulatory agencies seem to have the manpower, time, or the will to fulfil their duties; slopey shoulders seem to be the norm. Meanwhile the law makers go to work with gusto making life ever more complex!

violin
Frequent Contributor
Username: violin

Post Number: 192

Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2012 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ordered mine on the 8th march when first notified by Farnell of future stocking of this particular product and have now recently received an email from them that the “CE” has been sorted and should receive mine sometime at the end of June - So, still sometime to go.

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1404

Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2012 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got mine yesterday :o)

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 262

Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2012 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehe, so you believe it now then Mike?

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1405

Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2012 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:o)

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 272

Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2012 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, my Pi is on the way, got an email telling me I could order today and it should be with me in three weeks.

rich13
Frequent Contributor
Username: rich13

Post Number: 63

Posted on Tuesday, 22 May, 2012 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had an email today with Order confirmation code, made the order , they reckon 3 weeks for dispatch, cant see why so long, but its coming..
__ Rich __

ojford

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, 24 May, 2012 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine arrived today!

Excited, but I do have an exam tomorrow still, then none for a week so that should be ample time to begin fiddling!

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1706

Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2012 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha!

So it's not total vapourware.

canonman
Frequent Contributor
Username: canonman

Post Number: 163

Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2012 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was shipped today. I should get it on Monday, hopefully :-)

Mike, when's the first article going to be published?

(Message edited by canonman on 25 May, 2012)

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1707

Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it there yet?

canonman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 164

Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine hasn't arrived yet :-(

I may have to ring Farnell and chase it up...

ojford

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@canonman

Have you not had an email with expected shipping date?

They're shipping them in chronological order of as orders were received - which is fairly arbitrary seeing as it's taking months to fulfil the first few seconds of orders, you might have ordered within milliseconds of me but still need to wait until July.

Supply and demand.. too much of the latter!

canonman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ojford

I had an email last Friday saying it was being shipped. Apparnetly, Farnell are sending them out by second class Royal Mail, so it could take a few days turn arrive, if at all ;)

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1710

Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd class?

Stone me, they'll be using donkeys next.

ROTF.

canonman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 166

Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know.... carrier pigeon would have been quicker.

terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1163

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's alright. If we order one from RS here in Oz, they don't actually ship it, it comes from the UK.

And at 4.95GBP freight, they're probably making it walk out here!

TM

gizo
Frequent Contributor
Username: gizo

Post Number: 90

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they say SHIPPING they are not kidding.

However I am constantly amazed when I buy 2nd hand BIG books, maybe over 500 pages, from online traders, e.g. Marlowes, the book price is just a few $, the Royal Mail postage is about $4.
It is often shipped via some other European carrier, and it always arrives here in Oz in 5 - 8 days??
Whereas a book from other countries will have postage of ~ $10 - $50.

canonman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 167

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's arrived

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1415

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Do you have everything you need to get it running?

I didn't on day 1 :o)

ojford

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike - what didn't you have?

I've read a lot of people saying that on the RPi forums.

Seemed unlikely to me that anyone ordering an RPi wouldn't have an SD card and mUSB cable lying around somewhere.

I suppose if any SD card you happened to have wasn't large enough, or you were still using a PS/2 mkb (!) that's where issues arise..

It made me panic though when mine was due to arrive and I saw these people saying they didn't have what they needed - I was suddenly wondering what I needed that I'd completely overlooked!

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1416

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first, it was a working WIFI module. Not all are supported. Fortunately a colleague at work had one that did work, and we swapped.

Then, I realised that with a wifi module plugged in I had only a single usb connection left - you need two for keyboard and mouse. The first USB hub wouldn't work, but I found a second that would.

Perhaps I wasn't prepared because I thought it would never arrive :o)

ojford

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, that sounds more like bad fortune than lack of prepared-ness!

I'm using ethernet to bridge it to my desktop, and I was pleasently surprised to find that my old wireless keyboard/mouse (single USB) did in fact work, without any intervention.

That was something I hadn't prepared for, but was a nice surprise.

Seems like you and I have had opposite fortunes!

canonman
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 168

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2012 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@mike

No, I'm still waiting for a PSU. Ordered one off eBay and it arrived in an envelope with no bubble wrap, smashed to bits. I've ordered one from a different seller and it should be here next week.

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 282

Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2012 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shipping email received :-)

It's on a 24 hour delivery so I suppose that means Wednesday next week :-(

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1417

Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2012 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A colleague of mine had a £10 wireless keyboard and mouse that worked perfectly too. That was a great deal that I couldn't find myself. A nice solution if you can do it - just add a wifi dongle to the second usb port and you are sorted. So long as you dont want to access a memory stick..

@cjaysharp - Mine arrived the day following the shipping email, so you might see it tomorrow :o)

(Message edited by mikehibbett on 01 June, 2012)

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 284

Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2012 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm in two minds if that'd be worse, I know I won't be able to get at it until next week anyway, there are small people here who already have plans for my time this weekend.

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 285

Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2012 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Pi today, it's coming via Parcelforce Express 24 so it'll be Wednesday as Saturday delivery is extra.

resistanceisuseless
Regular Contributor
Username: resistanceisuseless

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2012 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pi crust!
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7182

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 288

Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2012 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pi here, I may be some time. Talk amongst yourselves.

motchjv
Frequent Contributor
Username: motchjv

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got email from Farnell, my Pi shipping today. Now what do you do with it?

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 293

Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm using mine to prevent a space on a shelf getting dusty so far, work has gone nuts :-(

ojford

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha.

Is there any way I can get this URL out to a mailing list of people still waiting?

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1421

Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Is there any way I can get this URL out to a mailing list of people still waiting?

http://www.chatzones.co.uk/discus/messages/7/13395.html?1339525506

>I'm using mine to prevent a space on a shelf getting dusty

That has got to be the best use I've heard of so far!

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 194

Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2012 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still waiting for mine, not a word from Farnell recently of when I will receive it. Last heard from them of mid-June receive, still not that bothered as have other things that are keeping me busy at the moment as to think of what I will do with it when I do eventually receive it.

rich13
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 68

Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2012 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three weeks , and still waiting..
__ Rich __

motchjv
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2012 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ordered my in Feb from Farnell and only just got it.

gew
Regular Contributor
Username: gew

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2012 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I also ordered it Feb from Farnell and only just arrived, now that to do with it???

rich13
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2012 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got mine today, .. as quoted by 'gew', now what can i do with it?
Maybe a thread about users projects?}
__ Rich __

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2012 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Received this from Farnell yesterday so I guess it is something.

“Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances causing a delay in the supply chain, we can't send your order just yet, but it will be despatched the week commencing 02/07/2012. You will receive a confirmation email prior to your Raspberry Pi being shipped.”

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1730

Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2012 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just spotted this:

http://www.cieonline.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4823/FTDI_delivers_connectivity_solutions_for_Raspberry_Pi_mini_computer.html

May be of use to someone.

dave_squibb
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_squibb

Post Number: 297

Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2012 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Violin posted:

"Received this from Farnell yesterday so I guess it is something.

“Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances causing a delay in the supply chain, we can't send your order just yet, but it will be despatched the week commencing 02/07/2012. You will receive a confirmation email prior to your Raspberry Pi being shipped.”"

I received a similar email on Tuesday but week commencing 25-6-2012, 2 hours after the Pi had dropped through the letterbox

epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: epithumia

Post Number: 887

Posted on Saturday, 23 June, 2012 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just got ours at work.

At first we couldn't get the keyboard and mouse to work, and investigations centred on reported problems with an oscillator.

However, it turned out to be the PSU cable! PSU was OK, PI was OK, cable must have been a bit resistive..

Important lesson in not overlooking the basics.

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 196

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine arrived just now. I really haven’t gone into the basics of it yet. Have mouse, keyboard and TV/monitor. Also have SD card specifically for it, but not sure of the PSU’s voltage requirements to see if I have one at hand. I guess it would be either 9v or 12v. Need to research that part of it.

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor
Username: younngjohnnie

Post Number: 118

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The power supply is 5V. Something like a kindle power supply works fine. Needs to be a minimum of 750ma

motchjv
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 82

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought the kit for mine off eBay for £29.   Includes USB KB, USB mouse, HDMI cable.  power adapter, SD card preloaded with Debian Linux.   Connected it up to my HD TV and worked a treat.   Also just bought a piCrust on ebaynfor £8 to protect the board.   It's green on the sides and transparent on the top so you can see the board.  Has slots for all the sockets around the edge.   Very nice case.

John

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1426

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice recommendation John, thanks.

The rubber band solution to hold it together is novel :o)

Here's the link to ebay:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/103187547/metallic-silver-picrust-a-laser-cut-case

motchjv
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 83

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah and you even get the rubber band. They also give you a model A and model B side panel.

HD graphics from the Pi is amazing. I want to link mine to my electricty monitors as I failed to get this working with the whatsit board project. I like the idea of putting a Pi in a model boat, give it GPS, solar power and send it across the alantic. I think they have a web site that shows the current status of the. Project.

John

motchjv
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 84

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could get a second Pi from RS but I think I decline unless someone else wants one?

Cheers
John

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 197

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for both the advice of the type of PSU required and the full-kit information. Although I think I am only lacking the PSU and the HDMI cable, I feel in obtaining the "full-kit" could do no harm to me.

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1427

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I noticed "Poundland" sell HDMI cables for, obviously, a pound. I was in a hurry when my Pi arrived and so ended up paying £8 for mine. I paused for a few nanoseconds on the £29.99 HDMI cable before moving to the cheaper one.

I wasn't in that much of a hurry :o)

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1248

Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2012 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poundland -- I hope that's for a twin pack :-)
Alan W -- EPE

More online resources at www.epemag.net
Personal site www.alanwinstanley.com

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 119

Posted on Sunday, 01 July, 2012 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following have been recommended by others as compatible with the raspberry Pi. I have ordered them up but havent tried them yet.
Ligitech MK260 wireless keyboard and mouse. £16.78. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920-002997-MK260-Wireless-Desktop/dp/B004MEXYLM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341049380&sr=1-2
Pi case £7.99 https://www.modmypi.com/shop/raspberry-pi-case-black
Wirelss Dongle £5.49 http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9&products_id=112046
4 port hub. £5.99
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=113169

Also see there is a book being published.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/111846446X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=111846446X&linkCode=as2&tag=gastronomydom-21

Havent yet been able to find a hdmi cable to DVI that works with my monitor - maybe a problem with my monitor though. Just order another cable to try.

John

thomass
Frequent Contributor
Username: thomass

Post Number: 83

Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2012 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine finally turned up though I had some problems with the SD card I was using so I tried another one having consulted the verfied peripheral list on the Raspberry Pi Wiki http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals and bingo it worked.

Adafruit also sell Raspberry Pi cases https://www.adafruit.com/products/859

The design files are available so I'm going to get one made at school as we have a laser cutter.

(Message edited by thomass on 02 July, 2012)

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 202

Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2012 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just ordered a case for mine from John's link. I think it was probably the best option for me as far as cases goes. Thanks for the link John.

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This HDMI to DVI cable worked for me on the raspberry.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290458060927?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 203

Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The full kit I ordered for it arrived just now, still haven't got round to unpacking it, too many other things on the go.

mikehibbett

Post Number: 1430

Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Mike, when's the first article going to be published?

Sorry, I only just noticed the question.

The first "look and tell" article is in the August issue. The first construction article ( finished late last night! ) has just been confirmed for the September issue.

Cheers,

Mike

cjaysharp
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 299

Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine's working, decpetively easy to get going, I'm using a Microsoft Optical Mouse and an HP Smart Card Keyboard, no problems at all :-)

Now, Onwards!

violin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 204

Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, unpacked the kit for it early on this evening and found no problems with it. - Just where to go now with it.

rich13
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 78

Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2012 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the case for the RPI, Amazon has a few;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=raspberry+pi+case&sprefix=Raspberry+Pi%2Celectronics%2C316
__ Rich __

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 130

Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2012 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loads of them on Ebay

echase
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 652

Posted on Tuesday, 17 July, 2012 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had my RS email inviting me to order. I assume I do not need to buy their expensive SD card but can use a generic card with downloaded OS added? Although I see above that someone had trouble with some brands of card.

terrym
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1180

Posted on Wednesday, 18 July, 2012 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The R/Pi OS downloads are on their site, so you can use your own card and download from there.

There is a new OS coming specially ported for the R/Pi that makes use of the floating point capabilities. Said to be may times faster than those currently available.

TM

(Message edited by terrym on 18 July, 2012)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page