Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Rasberry Pi

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Raspberry Pi archives » Rasberry Pi « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

echase
Frequent Contributor
Username: echase

Post Number: 650

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2012 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the Pi thread? Not in the index for this month’s despite recent posts. Can anyone who has one say it's worth buying as I have yet to hear of anyone managing to use one for any practical purpose like real time monitoring, rather than just for playing games?

james
Frequent Contributor
Username: james

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2012 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Echase,

From what I read, the development of the Pi was primarily aimed at getting large numbers of these cheap devices into schools in order to develop the programming skills of children which have been underdeveloped in more recent years. This is to be achieved using the Python programming language.
As far as the electronics hobyist is concerned the Pi has a useful GPIO port which has 17 general purpose I/O pins which are all doubled up for other functions as well such as I2C, SPI, PWM and UART. These I/O are 3.3V and are 5V intollerent so I suppose a first project could be to design a circuit to buffer the I/O and provide level shifting. Possibly opto-isolator inputs for good protection.
I think EPE are on the case as to potential applications.
If you have not already read it I would suggest you read Mike Hibbet's interesting article about the Pi featured in the August issue of EPE where he lists some possible future applications including "One of the Pi's ommisions - the lack of a battery-backed real-time clock."
Mike also says "This isn't about making our current pet project smaller or run faster, this is about creating projects that were previously unthinkable."
I hope I've mentioned something which you were previously unaware of!

Cheers

James.

younngjohnnie
Frequent Contributor
Username: younngjohnnie

Post Number: 132

Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2012 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres a new Pi section where all the Pi threads are.
John

james
Frequent Contributor
Username: james

Post Number: 69

Posted on Friday, 06 July, 2012 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all

Further to my post earlier today and to draw your attention to the low level peripheral specifications and also to the Pi expansion boards currently under development. The Gertboard described under the second link may be of particular interest to some.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals

http://elinux.org/RPi_Expansion_Boards

cheers

James

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page