Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Giant LED Display

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 13 February, 2007 » Giant LED Display « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wkumeling
Just joined
Username: Wkumeling

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 03 February, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After some time I was able to get this project working.
First problem encountered was the PCB design that didn't fit the Kingston displays to be mounted properly next to each other so I had to redesign the PCB.
I decided I need four time four displays and for drilling and soldering these in my precious spare time took some time as well.
Now that I am able to use it I encounter some further problems:
1. As is already mentioned in the software that comes with the project the display has to be (power) reset after a new upload of a message. This is not my application: I want to be able to update the information all of the time. I deducted the software and made my own application in VB but this shows the same problem. Isn't there a way around this? (a hidden reset command?). I noticed I have to reset more often when graphics changes are sent.
The question came up how the reset input of the master PIC is connected, only allowing to make a power cycle reset. Can this be modified in this design?
2. Up till now I was not able to send animation or static messages to the display with the original software. It hangs when I try to do this (using Windows ME as test environment). Not critical for my application but would be nice to experiment with these modes as well.
3. The EPE serial .ocx used is critical when the message display is not powered on or the serial connector is not connected to the computer controlling it. Is this normal behaviour or is there another parameter to be set?

Hope someone finds the time to help me with these issues.

Wilfried Kumeling
Belgium

John_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: John_becker

Post Number: 1071

Posted on Sunday, 04 February, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilfried, I think that I probably would have used a software reset facility during the design stages, and may have left in traces of the code.

At the head of the the VB6 and/or PIC code, there are the code values and their functions which I would have used, most of which were retained. Have a look at their descriptions and see if any might be associated with what you want to do. Maybe you can then make use of them in some way.

I regret I am too heavily involved in something else at present to want to side-track my mind with anything else and am sorry but I cant offer more help on it.

But I'm sure a bit of thought from yourself will find a way. But be warned, I did comment in the published text that it is a comprex prog and any changes should not be contemplated unless you really know what you are doing.

I am surprised that your Leds were not of the same size as mine, which have the correct spacing so that they did fit the PCB without stress. Mine came from Rapid. It's at times like this that I regret ShopTalk no longer exists to tell people component sources.

J

Wkumeling
Just joined
Username: Wkumeling

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, 08 February, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks John!
Anyone else have a comment?
Greetings,
Wilfried

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page