Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Royer Converter

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 02 March, 2007 » Royer Converter « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

poriet
Frequent Contributor
Username: poriet

Post Number: 135

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 01 March, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
I'm intending to do some stuff which involves getting 200-400V out of a 12V battery. No doubt there are lots of terribly clever ways of doing this, but I'm not an electrical engineer and I cant design SMPSs. So it's a Royer converter or nothing.
I've just finished making one from a design in an old R.M.Marston book on circuits for cars.The original circuit was a self-oscillating astable MV. What I want to do now, instead, is to use a square-wave oscillator and two N-Ch enhancement MOSFETs. I may even try to make the circuit with the Texas TL494 which has a dead-time feature.
As the transformer is a mains-type ( in reverse ). I suppose I should operate around 50Hz although I've seen circuits for these devices which used frquencies of 1KHz!
I guess the first question, then, is this:
Is there any advantage in using frequencies higher than 50Hz on an iron-cored transformer.
What sort of frequency would be an upper limit?
Regards
P.

winston
Username: winston

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, 01 March, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming you're not wanting a huge current and are wanting DC, don't dismiss an SMPS so easily - there are some that are easy to construct! If you don't need much current, you can construct one with a 555 and a power MOSFET and suitable inductor. I managed to accidentally make well over 1000 volts that way before I looked up how to regulate it properly (I was shooting for 170 VDC, and was manually regulating it via a potentiometer to change the duty cycle of the 555. I turned it a bit too far. There was a lovely smell of ozone and melting capacitor). It worked on plug-in type breadboard, so it isn't even particularly layout fussy.

The regulation was the hardest bit (only a couple of components, but understanding how it regulates), and I ended up using the circuit on the Yahoo! group NEONIXIE-L (the third 555-based one, if you take a look there. The second schematic, using the 555's reset pin makes an ungodly amount of noise - electrical noise as well as the inductor making audible noise.). The regulation part of the circuit changes the duty cycle on the 555 via pin 5, which is what I had been doing with the pot when manually regulating it.

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, 01 March, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of circuits available, for producing high voltages from 12 volts.

I came across this circuit which might be useful.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102473/article.html

The switching frequency just needs to be reduced for a conventional iron cored transformer. Not sure what the highest frequency for an iron cored transfomer would be, maybe a few hundred hertz.

Probably depends to some extent on the power being drawn, but it shouldn't be too hard to measure efficiency against switching frequency.

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 1536

Posted on Friday, 02 March, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The higher the frequency you can go, the better. Without knowing the specs on the transformer, I can't say how high you can go.

But yes, there are advantages. Just because the transformer is a "mains type", doesn't mean that you can only use it at 50/60 Hz.

If nothing else, do some testing. Start out at the lower frequency, and then keep going higher and higher until your voltage/current no longer supplies what you need. Then back it off a little bit.

You may want to keep an eye on spikes too.

But I agree, there are plenty of circuits out there, just search the web. But do what you feel best.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page