Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pic Programmer

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 28 March, 2007 » Pic Programmer « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob999
Username: bob999

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 22 March, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

}I've recently bought a new laptop, Win xp, and wish to programme my brilliant Magenta PIC toolkit 3 board. It unfortunatly uses a parallel port to connect to the Computer. I've tried two differant usb to parallel adapters without success. I am now thinking of a PCMCIA card, it probably follows the LPT protocol better. Another thought was to connect USB to USB but cannot find a circuit. Any help would realy be appreciated. 'Too much midnight oil already!.{

john_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: john_becker

Post Number: 1244

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 22 March, 2007 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, someone is writing a USB interface for me for TK3, but I cant offer any info on when it will be ready. It will be published when it is.

J

bob999

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, 22 March, 2007 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,
Many thanks for the information.
I have spent many pleasurable hours following your interesting course on PIC programming, using the PC parallel port. Now I wish to go "portable".
The present usb to parallel cables will programme OK but refuse to allow readback. I think the NOT-Buisy line is not implemented. I keep getting a "power cable etc not connected error". Anyway, a solution in sight. I shall await with enticipation.
Kind regards,
Bob G Ryder.

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: paul_goodson

Post Number: 691

Posted on Thursday, 22 March, 2007 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi John /Bob

Thatís great news!!!!!!

I was only asking myself if it was possible to programme Tk3 through my laptop just a couple of months ago after obtaining my first laptop.

So I look very much forward to this.

Thanks

TC
Paul
The bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory!!!!!!!

johnh
Valued Member
Username: johnh

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, 23 March, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob999

Could you provide details of the USB to Parallel cable you are using. Can you also provide some indication of the length of time it takes to program using the cable - how big is the hex source file and how long does it take to program.

If you have VB6 it is a trivial change to remove the 'cable connected check' (actually several changes) but it is my experience that reads will be VERY slow.

Regards,

John

bob999

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,
I bought a Hong Kong item as it had a driver CD, but found it to be for Win 98 etc not XP. Previously tried an IBM "USB to serial / parallel" combi box. That didnt work either.
I cannot programme to the PIC board using TK3 with Hong Kong, but can with my dedicated LPT1 printer cable.
If I leave "Verify" off using Hong Kong, TK3 goes thru the programming process alright, but without sending anything, (I think).
With "Verify" on I get the "printer port not connected or power not on" error, twice. Nothing else happens. Perplexing!
From what I can gather, these cables do not fully emulate the LPT port, they're OK for printers though. I can buy a dedicated USB to LPT card and cable, but at about £75. Too much just for programming a PIC board.
I have VB6 and am conversant with the programme.
I think the fault lies with the NOT-buisy line. Not sure if it is implemented with my cable.
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob.

john_becker

Post Number: 1248

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, sorry but I cant offer help on this one.

I have a similar problem when trying to access newer printers from older PCs, and have not cracked it (as I reported here a while back)

J

bob999

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John B,

Newer Opp. Systems should be like older cars ... where problems can be tackled with a hammer and chisel.
Gleaning information on rare problems can be daunting. Gone are the days when a Text Book could be purchased which solved all problems ... instead of one book per solution!

I'll await the Driver,(in 2 above).

Thanks again John,

Bob

john_kent
Frequent Contributor
Username: john_kent

Post Number: 120

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the same problem as John_B in that my new USB only printer would not printout the PCB layouts from the TCi3 program. So I borrowed a parallel only printer and printed them out with that. During the process I made a mistake and accidently selected the new printer ..... and it actually printed. I have given the parallel printer back and my new printer still continues to print, with the parallel cable plugged in.
I have since moved onto PCB Wiz 3.5 (£4.50 'buy now' on Ebay) and have no problems now.
First we make it work .... Then we make it simple.

john_becker

Post Number: 1251

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2007 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, that's interesting. Very odd. I'd be intrigued to know why this might happen.

J

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page