Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Which C compiler to choose

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 13 April, 2007 » Which C compiler to choose « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 122

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 05 April, 2007 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone have experience,good,bad or otherwise of the PIC C compilers currently available? i am looking for a not too expensive well supported and capable program,which is still useable for a complete novice to high level languages.BoostC and FED are current prospects,any one have any views?

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 1633

Posted on Thursday, 05 April, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can start with the MPLAB (18 series parts though), it's free, well supported and capable.

If nothing else, you can just use that as a spring board to something else. C is C. Meaning it's portable, so find a better compiler, and away you go.....

When you install it, you get a message about it being only the full package for a trail period, after that certain "things" are dis-abled.

Mostly speed and compactness issues. But supposedly, what gets disabled really doesn't matter that much.

Programs are only a fraction slower and only a might larger. Supposed to be easy to live with.

Now that's only what I have heard, I'm waiting to install it myself.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

john_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: john_becker

Post Number: 1284

Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2007 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, Mike Hibbert is starting a series on using MPLAB in the June issue of EPE (and another series on PICkit2 as well, as part of PICnMix).

J

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 127

Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2007 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i got the PICKit2 i noticed the extra button;which isnt used (yet!) i beleive they where working on a version which can store the code to be programmed in,INSIDE the pickit.so when the extra button is pressed the 'kit2 does the programming itself,the 18 series IC inside would be more than capable of doing it,but would need a 5v supply to the mini USB socket.the pICKit2 contains intelligence,memory,and a driver circuit 'as-is';maybe they never had the time to develop it,maybe it was in-house only?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page