Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Help

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 03 June, 2007 » Help « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

graham84
Just joined
Username: graham84

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello there, sorry to bother you all, i'm new to these forums so excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm hoping to create a small music making device much like the ones you find in birthday cards etc, when you open them up they play a tune. Anyone got any ideas as to how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I basically want to make something along the lines of this - http://www.kitsrus.com/jpg/card2.jpg

Thanks in Advance

cpemma
Regular Contributor
Username: cpemma

Post Number: 38

Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To reproduce the effect you could program a PIC to play the right notes in sequence, but the end result would be far bulkier and far more expensive than these ready-made modules.

UK source here: http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?&tier1=Educational+Products&tier2=Projects+%26+Robotics&tier3=Sound%2c+Music+%26+Light+Modules&tier4=Musical+modules +for+greetings+cards&moduleno=34060&catref=13-0614

Also available in IC form, you should find similar in the US

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Integrated+Circuits&tier3=Timers+%26+Signal+Gens.&tier4=Three-melody+generator+ICs&moduleno=77740

(Message edited by cpemma on 26 May, 2007)

john_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: john_becker

Post Number: 1393

Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2007 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I'm well into PICS, I dont think they're the answer you need. The chips in those cards will have been made specially for them. Everything in the one tiny chip I expect, including power source and switch somehow.

I've never taken one apart - has anyone, and knows just what goes on?

J

boris
Frequent Contributor
Username: boris

Post Number: 183

Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2007 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use a PICAXE. Dead easy. 8-pin DIL chip and a piezo disk. Programming is in BASIC. Just use the SOUND command, followed by a list of notes and durations.
"What's red and invisible?"
"No tomatoes"

bgrabowski
Just joined
Username: bgrabowski

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An even better command for picaxe 08M is TUNE. You can import mono mobile phone ringtones.

cpemma
Regular Contributor
Username: cpemma

Post Number: 39

Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2007 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everything in the one tiny chip I expect, including power source and switch somehow."

See the picture, John. Switch, battery and piezo speaker are external. I've a slightly more powerful design with an external (2-transistor) amplifier section but all the real work is done under the black blob. These do 128 notes, the Raid DIL one "256 Notes dual tone".

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 1736

Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do have tiny chips that play music, TO92, power it up and it will play a "specific" tune, like happy birthday or something.

I think allelectronics.com had some. Not a wide choice though, only two.

But that is what they use in those cards, they do not use a PIC.

But if you want something you can program for any tune, that would be the PIC or something similar.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page