Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Propeller chips from parallax!

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 13 July, 2007 » Propeller chips from parallax! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

error
Just joined
Username: error

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after struggling with the primitive pics with their poor assembly through years,i coincidentaly met this amazing product. the projects that you can never imagine with pics can be handled very easily with that creative chip.
i m still working on them but it still excites me!

i ll write epe editor to consider this chip in their new projects..

(Message edited by error on 10 July, 2007)

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 1855

Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like an ad to me.

Which means with this group, you've probably already lost everybody. Save this junk for other boards eh?

I've already talked about this chip....

(Message edited by obiwan on 10 July, 2007)
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

error
Just joined

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just wanted to be noticed with different style if you wrote about it i didnt notice and iwill look at it. after all i didnt mean to ad nothing
may be you behaved a little bit prejudice?? any way i m new and really dont want to lose you .iwill delete this post.. after you read..

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1856

Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different style is fine.

But you sound like somebody that works for them and are going from board to board trying to stir up interest in the chip.

That's just my "professional" opinion.

If I wrong, sorry.

But go back and read your message again, and tell me it doesn't sound like you work for them.

And yes, it's a great chip. Very capable. But cost too much for me, for a single project. Sadly.... Another magazine I subscribe to has a section on this chip. Several projects and so on.

error
Just joined

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excuse me you are right it sounds like working for them .. and may be that is because i havent worked enoug with advanced compilers(basic, c etc)
iwrote to edior to delete my first unsuceesful intimacy in this forum.
BUT IM NOT an adviser.. one of slaves..

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1857

Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to delete it.

Like I said, if you don't work for them, then I'm sorry. And that's no reason to delete a post.

But there have been several instances of people coming in here, writing a post like that, only trying to sell something.

And this is a pretty savvy crowd, and that sort of thing doesn't hold water.

But if you like the chip, and think it should be used, then by all means, give it a go. I'd like to see more on it also.

And not only that, but I'm sure if one of the guys at EPE wanted to check it out, they'd get a free dev kit!

So they certaianly have nothing to lose!! (if they don't want the kit, I'd be more than happy to take it off their hands!!)

And I am also not a PIC fan. I'd much rather work with something else.

john_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: john_becker

Post Number: 1476

Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Error, no need to delete anything.

I've been aware of the Prop chip for some years now. At the time I highlighted in our news section and I'd expected it to be talked about here in CZ. No one did to any degree, and I never bothered to look further into it. Doubt I shall now to be honest. You're the first person to mention it in ages.

J

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1860

Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, it is a great chip. But, for me, I can't see buying one, to put in a project like that, just a little pricey for me.

Not only that, I don't have any projects where I really need something like that, that something else I know, can't really do.

Maybe they need a smaller version of it?

I don't know, it's kind of like using one of those Z-80 chips that has the UART, IR interface, 6 parallel ports and a couple more serial ports, 128K RAM, 512K FLASH RAM and a DMA, to do something that a PIC can do.

It'd be good for robotics, stuff that requires lots of processing from different parts.

But, I just don't see that sort of thing here really. I'd love to play with it, but I don't feel I can blow the bucks just "to play" with it.

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1861

Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

error, I lost your private message to me. if you want resend it and I will give you the name of the other magazine I subscribe to that does have more info on the propeller chip. You might like it.

error

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i can create rgb signals with pics and graphics object , there is no need for propeller in my new project thus can you suggest a source that explains and depicts the rgb signals for vga ' s ?

you might have explained before if so can you just link it..

(Message edited by error on 11 July, 2007)

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1864

Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, if you have a project that requires generating RGB signals, then the propeller may very well be your best choice.

Like I said, there are projects that could be best done with a PIC, and others that need more power. That's why they have different processors.

And if you have a project that needs that sort of power, I'd go with either a "regular" processor and some video, or if you don't need "all" that power, try out the propeller.

As for the VGA signals, try google, see what makes sense to you. I don't know your levels of expertise so I can't really offer a whole lot of information.

As for the old link, there's not that much to it, I just explained it's capabilities a little bit and mentioned they were doing something with it in that other magazine. It's in the archives, I'll try to hunt it down.

pwillard
Frequent Contributor
Username: pwillard

Post Number: 63

Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God forbid something other than a PIC gets mention here.

I too am impressed with the hobbyist oriented solutions coming out of Parallax but I think you'd be best served staying on their user forums versus here. I've done some really fun projects with the Basic stamp and the SX chips (using Free SX/B)

If anyone cares, an SX chip is actually a high performance PIC equivalent (based on PIC architecture and assembly language) that runs up to 50 MHZ, among other things.

I've stopped posting here due to Obiwan's attack reponses... well... this is the one exception.

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1882

Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me? Attack for using something other than a PIC?? Surely you jest?!

Not to mention "attacking" anybody for anything here! I have done nothing but try to offer help where I can and offer encouragement when needed as best I can.

Attack??

I happen to prefer a Zilog chip myself, and was first to post on the propeller chip, and just brought to attention yet another chip and have also talked about the Atmel parts and the use of FPGA! Hardly seems to be the type of stuff I would be posting yet attack somebody for using something other than PIC!

I do know this forum isn't exactly friendly to other solutions out there.

Care to clarify that a little bit?

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1884

Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there was one instance where I "attacked" somebody and suggested they were in over their head and learned some basic electronics before trying to do what he was doing, but in the end, in case you missed it, he later came back and thanked me for being honest and helping him.

Please feel free to elaborate on this.

Anyone else for that matter, if I have attacked anybody, please feel free to jump in here.

error
Valued Member

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi

mr pwillard i dont know what happeaned before here but the "new chip" thread belongs to obiwan.

you said you dont write anymore but i am sure you take a glance at topics.

i suggest everybody to make microcontroller compare contrast inventory here

which one do you like and WHY?

by this way may be we can share sth about micros...

(Message edited by error on 13 July, 2007)
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/index.html

john_becker
:::: Super User ::::
Username: john_becker

Post Number: 1482

Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pwillard - I for one am not aware of any attacks that Obiwan has made. And as far as EPE are concerned, we have no problem with other MCUs being discussed. Our choice of PICs is mainly to do with the number of readers who know about them, and as has been discussed here before, it's not in readers' interests if we get too involved with other MCUs, and for which they may not have the hardware or software.

People can talk about whatever MCUs they like here.

Perhaps you'd care to tell me what you meant?

J

magnum4
Frequent Contributor
Username: magnum4

Post Number: 528

Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pete.
I for one have always endorsed Epe in going down the pic path :-) I have a good interest in what other have to say :-)) I have seen posts by other people about other processors often. Obiwan has made clear where his love lyes, Z80. More than once he has said he is not a pic man :-))
I have got into pics thanks to John Beckers Excellent Tk series. But have moved on to Mplab?? No one has told me Im wrong for this? I always like reading what others have to say, And have been shot down as well but not without merit:-))

Im trying to interface to a CF card at the moment and Proton seems to be the way to go, Simply because I do not have the Teaching t be able to do it in assembler?

That is not a fault of this Board, Simply my lack of education. But it was here on this board that i heard about Proton!! I may not use it, but someone here brought it up, And as far as I can remember they were not ATTACKED???
Some people can be a bit abrupt without meaning any harm. :-)) All of us are different :-))
And I genuinely Value your Contributions :-))
Regards,
Jim

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page