Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

TV aerial advice

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 14 October, 2007 » TV aerial advice « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mr_bwts
Regular Contributor
Username: mr_bwts

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just got a freeview box and have quickly found out why analog is better with an indoor aerial.

So I have to put an aerial on the roof to ensure a decent picture.

Any advice on types of aerial and best direction to get the best signal form the transmitter?

I mean how hard can it be?

(pobably harder than I am imagining)

Thanks

B)
"more with less" - R B Fuller

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 869

Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it has to be on the roof, get an aerial rigger to do it... it's cheaper & less painful than breaking your neck...

And the rigger will know where to point the new aerial, though looking at other aerials in the street is normally a good indicator of the direction of the transmitter.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 870

Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Sky dish is on the chimney, which is highly convenient since the LNB died.

I'm not going up there & not paying anyone to do so, so I've got a dish looking out through the boxroom window.

Works a treat.

£15 from Lidl, plus £3 for the new LNB.

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 311

Posted on Wednesday, 19 September, 2007 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maplin have a reasonable range of aerials, and this one might be suitable.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=22523&doy=19m9

As Zeitghost said, you can get some idea of the size and direction of aerial required by looking at several in your area. A booster amp might help if the aerial doesn't have enough gain.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 872

Posted on Thursday, 20 September, 2007 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the aerial doesn't have enough gain, buy a bigger aerial... it's cheaper than running a booster amp... though saying that, I have a booster amp with my freeview box in a vain attempt to reduce the patterning from the box on local BBC2...

Now I know why the Panasonic box was cheap in Argos.

Largely because it radiates all over the UHF band...

mr_bwts
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, 20 September, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi zeitghost I think I am going to have to put it on the roof, too many high trees about. Going to go and talk to somebody about it tomorrow. I dont mind getting out on the roof but once there I am not sure I owuld have a clue on how to attatch it and so on

poriet
Frequent Contributor
Username: poriet

Post Number: 196

Posted on Friday, 21 September, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fixing a roof-mounted TV aerial isn't difficult: ask Rod Hull

Just my $0.02 worth
P.

mr_bwts
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, 21 September, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thouights exactly, although I think I will refain from taking my glove puppet to help me.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 488

Posted on Friday, 21 September, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An excellent point.
ARW

gerry
Regular Contributor
Username: gerry

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, 21 September, 2007 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bought a new TV and DVD recorder recently. Both with built-in freeview. In one of the manuals it mentioned that you can put big aerials in the attic and they should work well. Lot safer/easier to do, though no idea if the reception is as good.

gerry
Regular Contributor
Username: gerry

Post Number: 32

Posted on Friday, 21 September, 2007 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bought a new TV and DVD recorder recently. Both with built-in freeview. In one of the manuals it mentioned that you can put big aerials in the attic and they should work as well. Lot safer/easier to do, though no idea if the reception is as good.

mr_bwts
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 32

Posted on Saturday, 22 September, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi qerry. I have tried it in the attic but its just not a good enough signal but maybe thats due to the small ariel, not to mention the dodgy floor up there. There is a bloke who said he would get an appropriate ariel and install it for £60. He hasnt seen how high our house is yet though.

poriet
Frequent Contributor
Username: poriet

Post Number: 197

Posted on Saturday, 22 September, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi mr bwts,
Gerry is right, I think. I know a plumber who did aerial rigging years ago: He told me 2 things which I've always been grateful to him for:
1. Most aerial riggers have the IQ of a hamster.
It isn't rocket science and most of them cut corners which, if you do it yourself, you won't.
All they have which you dont is a head for heights. With proper ladders you should be OK. I also do a touch of climbing, so I have a handfull of caribeeners and harness which is cheating a bit. But if you put a hook or somesuch in the wall, you can at least fix it so the ladder wont slide off sideways. A very important point, which injures lots and lots of ladder climbers every year, is to make sure the bottom of the ladder cant slide away from the wall.
2. There's very rarely a real need to roof-mount the aerial. In low reception areas, or on bungalows, you have to because you have to use a 6 - 10 foot pole to get height. But, in normal reception areas, with a good , new aerial, it can comfortably go in the attic. If your attic aerial is naff, buy a nice new one with lots of reflectors. I bet that works wonders.
HTH
P.

terry
Frequent Contributor
Username: terry

Post Number: 412

Posted on Saturday, 22 September, 2007 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have problems getting a good signal you can do ehat I have done and get a second hand sat box for all the free channels.

Terry

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 1974

Posted on Sunday, 23 September, 2007 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should be able to find a "kit" that will help in allowing you to mount it yourself. Normally, if you have a chimney, there are metal bands that go around the chimney, one up and one down. Those will fasten a mounting rod (vertical) to the chimney, then you fasten the ariel to the vertical rod.

If you don't mind heights, it's not that hard. Just some simple mechanical stuff. The reception I can't help you with as I'm across the pond and don't know a whole lot of what you're talking about.

Oh, a compass would help you point it in the right direction.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 873

Posted on Monday, 24 September, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad used to put up tv aerials back in the 50s... Band One double H aerials at that...

Real Man's work up a ladder on a roof...

He also relates a tale of a mine manager up in Banwen (top of the Neath Valley) who was the first chappie to get a tv in the village, which "received" signals from Wenvoe on Channel 5.

It only required an aerial mast 70 feet high to get the signal in...

The mast was made out of jointed iron piping courtesy of the NCB... aerial direction being controlled via a 3 foot long stilson at the bottom of the mast.

There's tidy then... :o)

Only one channel, BBC, since ITV hadn't been invented quite yet around here in those distant days... along with a tuner reliant on the rf gain of an EF85, ECC89 or whatever...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page