Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

CANbus simplest circuit for a start

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 28 December, 2007 » CANbus simplest circuit for a start « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 475

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was about to implement a node, the chance I had to get access to a running CANbus network, failed.

In spite I saw this not reccomended, what could be the simplest implementation (two nodes) to start experimenting?

a) Basically, could anyone tell me what should be the simplest settings to have more chances to get them up and running. The most basic the better, I think.

b) I presume that handling errors is capital here. Since I expect lot of them, can you suggest what is the best way to handle them? I fear to find the info, a bit on the overwhelming side.

I will use the 18F4585, a (TI or Microchip) transceiver,. LCD display, buttons and LEds.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 736

Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agustin,

where there no Microchip application notes to help you?

They are usually quite good with providing basic circuits.

Mike

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 476

Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2007 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Mike, they are just circuits and their software, but no, as far as I know, simple or basic ones.

I feel I would be shooting in the dark in too many directions so I want to reduce the unknowns by keeping the design essentially simple.

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 737

Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2007 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never played with can bus (yet) so hopefully someone will have an idea. Goodluck!

Mike

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 215

Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

If the admin people would look away now - "Elektor" had some canbus articles a while ago, I think. But it still couldn't replace "EPE" and the admin people can come back now...

Merry Christmas Ant

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 477

Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I am aware but sadly missed their CDs with a recap of the 1999 issues...

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 2099

Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MC should have some tutorials on the CANBus setup. I remember downloading a bunch of I think.

I think you're looking in the wrong place. I'll take a peek and see what I can find.

You could try one of their forums too, much more specific than here.

(Message edited by obiwan on 22 December, 2007)
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 2100

Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you looked at AN-215 and AN-713? (and the references (more AN's) at the end of those?)
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

atferrari
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 479

Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I could say I've read "everything". But always the advice is to test your node in a network already working.

I need to implement my own one (2 nodes only) hence the request to ensure more chances to get it up and running.

I started already to note the sequence of settings trying to get that.

Thanks for replying.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page