Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cheap soldering station

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 15 January, 2008 » Cheap soldering station « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: paul_goodson

Post Number: 796

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 25 December, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all I posted a thread here, but its sort of got lost in a sub section!!!

http://www.chatzones.co.uk/discus/messages/7/7408.html?1198507255

it looks like a good buy!!!!!!

TC
paul
The bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory!!!!!!!

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 365

Posted on Wednesday, 26 December, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Paul, looks like a nice soldering station, although it isn't clear what range of bits are available for the iron.

Although not in the sale, I noticed they have the soldering fume extractor priced at £9.99. My current catalogue has it listed at £41.14. I have seen similar units for about £30, so still seems a good bargain.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=n33ch&source=15&SD=Y

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 797

Posted on Wednesday, 26 December, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gordon
I brought the soldering station today along with a spare pack of three tips for £5.
I havenít had chance to use it yet.

The fume extractorís are cheap though I snapped mine up last year when Maplin where selling them off for only £4.99 !!!!

Paul

barry
Frequent Contributor
Username: barry

Post Number: 58

Posted on Friday, 28 December, 2007 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought one a few weeks ago for "her indoors" to surprise me for Xmas.
I have only tested for function and put on the shelf for later use if/when my earlier Maplin purchase fails.
Looks OK - my previous ine had only LED display of temperature - quite adequate, but not so pretty!

keith
Regular Contributor
Username: keith

Post Number: 35

Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I might be missing something here, I couldn't see any links in that thread except the unit in the tute at Sparkfun. Is that the one we're talking about? If so it seems a good price but it's in the States, is it sold over here in the UK?

If I've completely missed it could someone post a link to it for me .... sorry for looking like a total idiot !

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 798

Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Keith
The link is below
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=n16ch&source=15&SD=Y

I did buy one on Boxing Day and it seems to be a very nice station
I also a brought a set of 3 spare tips of different sizes for £5
As it included a smaller tip than the one that came with the station.

The Order code for the tips is N72CW but I cant bring the item up on there website!!!!

Paul

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 374

Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul/Keith - I've got one of those, and it's been great for the last six months or so.

The only thing is it sometimes doesn't "boot" properly, reading temperature as zero degrees. As a result it just gets hotter, hotter, and hotter. The solution is to flick it off and on again, after that, no problems.

NB - there is one other flaw. After a while the collett that sits at the top of the shaft comes loose and rattles down the shaft to land on your work (or finger, you should hear my language sometimes!). It's a good idea to check it's tight every now and again.

(Message edited by dave_g on 30 December, 2007)

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 802

Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice one Dave
It should match my old PC! Then!!!

I must say I thought it was a good buy after using it for the first time.

One good thing was the tip didnít need tinning as such and kept nice and clean from the start.

This was something I had never experience from any other iron before in the past!

De-soldering also seems a lot better with a tad more heat!

What type of solder do you use with it Dave?
As I will not use lead free
did you also buy the ex tips?
Paul

(Message edited by paul_goodson on 30 December, 2007)

dave_g
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 375

Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul - I didn't buy any extra tips, which might have been a bit daft. Must add those to the shopping list...

I use leaded Multicore, having bought a large reel from Farnell a few years back when I heard about the lead free scare.

The extra heat is very useful - especially when soldering phono plugs, where despite almost any other technique solder refuses to bond properly. With more heat, seems fine. About 330 degrees seems right instead of my normal 270.

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 803

Posted on Sunday, 30 December, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi David
You me and most of the forum have stocked up on the old lead solder.

The tips are well worth the money. At only £4.99 for a pack of 3 different sized tips
With one tip being the same size as supplied the station and one smaller and the other larger.

Sorry to here your trousers keep failing down!

You must keep you nuts tight!!

TC
paul

dave_g
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 376

Posted on Monday, 31 December, 2007 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Paul, I take your tips. One to stock up, the other to keep the belt tightened!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page