Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Source for plug in breadboards

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 20 April, 2008 » Source for plug in breadboards « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joe
Frequent Contributor
Username: joe

Post Number: 391

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 18 March, 2008 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know a UK source of plug in bread boards but with square plug holes and not the round ones ???

ESR used to be my supplier but they only do the round holed ones now (even tho their web site clearly shows the square hole ones).

Rapid seem to have one model available but it's difficult to see from the picture and it's not cheap either.
Am hoping one of you knows a good source for these.

Thanks,
Joe
Do one thing each day that scares you – work here !

thomass
Frequent Contributor
Username: thomass

Post Number: 67

Posted on Tuesday, 18 March, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joe

Do you mean these
Rapid part no. 34-0655
Farnell part no. 147175 I use the ones from Farnell or RS and they have sqaure holes

HTH

Thomas
None shall pass What ? None shall pass

joe
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 401

Posted on Sunday, 06 April, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the reply.

I spoke to Rapid about their 34-0655 using their on-line chat service, and after the chap assured me that they did indeed have square holes, I got around to ordering one.

And here it is in front of me... complete with perfect round holes that wont accept the square pins I use. I'm not ammused with them.

Farnell's offerings are just too expensive for what they are. I used to get them from ESR and they were dirt cheap... but they don't sell them anymore. I could kick myself for not buying more at the time.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Joe

cherrytree
Frequent Contributor
Username: cherrytree

Post Number: 420

Posted on Monday, 07 April, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

}
Hi Joe,
yes the Square ones are hard to get hold, the ones Ive, got are squared holes, BUT I got one in Tandys, yonks ago,thats a little white one, and a blue one also square holded.. the blue one cost me £14.99 and that was in the early 1990's
and funny I wanted TWO of the blue because you can link them up and it makes a great big BB .

As a last try, try www.radioshack.com
good luck
CT.

cherrytree
Frequent Contributor
Username: cherrytree

Post Number: 421

Posted on Monday, 07 April, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

}
Cont//
BreadBoard... but the blue one at the Time I got at Maplins.. I said can I have two.. NO only one left in the joint.. so I was very lucky to get that..
cheers
CT.

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 414

Posted on Monday, 07 April, 2008 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The square hole type of breadboard dose seem to be rare/expensive. I also have one of the square hole blue bimboard type boards, from Maplin of old!, and they are expensive from RS/Farnell.

This supplier has a couple that look as if they have square holes (270 and 400 contact), at a reasonable price.

http://www.technobots.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Breadboards_348.html

joe
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 402

Posted on Tuesday, 08 April, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that Gordon.
I've dropped them an Email to see what they say.

Joe

obiwan
Frequent Contributor
Username: obiwan

Post Number: 2229

Posted on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. I don't think I've ever seen one with round holes!

Surely not the regular 3M types??

If the 3M types are acceptable, then check out Allelectronics.com. They had some and pretty cheap too. Good project size for about $12.

It's not "real" 3M but it's a good clone.
Do Not Hit The Fly That Lands On The Tigers Head.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1109

Posted on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the 18W Zif "TEXTOOL" sockets I bought at £2 each that were marked "TFXTODL"... :o)

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 2231

Posted on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the ones I'm talking about,

Base page,
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/105/Breadboards.html

Individual board (this is what I bought two of and am very pleased),
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PB-1680/105/BREADBOARD,_1680_CONTACTS_.html

If you like, I'll take a close up photo and send that to you so you can the detail of the sockets, but trust me, they're square.

And you really can't beat the price, this is pretty cheap. Buy a bunch of 'em, to make up on shipping, and sell them over there since they seem to be so hard to get.

I'd like to see a photo of what ya'll are using.

gordon
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 418

Posted on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Obiwan, That 400 contact breadboard in the first link looks very similar to the 400 contact board Technobots are selling. The picture from Allelectronics seems to have square holes, so this may be suitable for Joe.

Over in the UK, the breadboards we can commonly buy now have mainly round holes, which don't allow Joe's square pins to be inserted. Apart from that, the boards perform the same function.

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 2232

Posted on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen photo's of what looked like a breadboard, all one color, I think the one I saw was red, looked like fairly soft plastic.

When I saw it I thought it was something else, because it looked so cheap.

The breadboards on All Electronics, the plastic you see, what you actually plug the parts into, the holes are indeed square.

I often use square pins too. A while back, I had a couple of really big, wire wrap boards. Basically a breadboard, but for wire wrap. You could plug in just about any chip, and wire it up.

And it had those gold plated square pins, with machine sockets on top.

Useless to me as is. So I spent hours punching those pins out. I had planned on using them by pressing them into other boards in the partern I wanted, saving me from purchasing wire wrap IC sockets.

But, I found out that they're GREAT for breadboards. Have a component too large for the hole (and don't want to mess it up by forcing it in there?), just solder it to those pins.

In some cases, I made jumpers out of them because they fit so well.

But, you can also buy those "zip strips". 40 pins maybe, short on top, taller on top. Mainly used for jumpers on PCB's.

I really can't imagine a breadboard with round holes. What's wrong with ya'll over there! (just kidding.....)

If anybody wants some of these, and you think you're getting burned on shipping, let me know.

I'll see about purchasing and shipping just about anything ya'll get burned on shipping costs.

gordon
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 419

Posted on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also had some trouble inserting components with large/thick leads. TO220 transistors and IN4001 diodes spring to mind. For a quick solution, I use short lengths of 1mm PVC sleeving, to connect 0.6mm TCW to the component pins. Works most of the time, but it is a bit fiddly.

Your idea of using header pins is a good one. The component could be 'tacked' on with solder, until testing is finished, and then easily removed for use in the final circuit if required.

joe
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 404

Posted on Thursday, 10 April, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obiwan,
I've tried to take a close up of the board with the round holes (my camera's not great) for you to see what we have to put up with over here :-(

For those of you that are wondering what all the fuss is about...
I make plug in carrier boards for small circuit blocks (to hold a PIC, xtal, caps, ICSP socket etc all on one small PCB), SMT IC converter boards, connector boards (you can't plug a 9 way D-Type or 40 way IDC connector into a standard bread board) or simply as converters to allow a bank of switches to be used with the board. I've got a box of converters I've made over the years, 99% with square pins.

AFAIK, there are 2 common types of pins available.
Turned pin header pins, at £1.20 for a strip of 32 or square header pins at 19p for a strip of 40. I know which I'd rather buy !!!!

A carrier board for a 40 pin PIC costs either 19p, or around £2 just for the pins.

The square ones are more stable as well, but they won't fit into the round holes.

Also as Gordon as said, some components won't fit into the round holes. 78xx voltage regulators and variable resistor pre-sets to add to Gordon's list.

Thanks for everybody's comments on this... I've now got some places I can try.

Obiwan, I may come knocking on your door and take you up on your shipping offer :-)

Thanks,
Joe

Round Holes

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1110

Posted on Thursday, 10 April, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the turned pin ones.

Even when I'm paying for them... :o(

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 2233

Posted on Thursday, 10 April, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another trick I use when using something like regulators (besides using a small regulator), that is hold the lead with a pair of pliers in one hand, then use another pair somewhat below where you grabbed it, and twist the lead 90 degrees.

That way, the lead fits in the "slot" created by the contacts, instead of forcing it open so wide.

One more trick, is to use some flat jawed pliers, smooth surface, and give that component a good squeeze, the rotate the pliers 90 degrees and do it again. Turn that round peg into a square one.

Now, of course you can only twist those leads one time, twist 'em back and you'll crack the copper, and it'll break off in no time. So that regulator or other part will become a bread board part only.

Don't fight those boards, make your components fit them.

Joe, send me a private message and I'll send you a photo of the board I have. I gave up posting anything here.

Those square pins give you better contact under that plastic bread board cover. Probably close to 10 times or better surface area.

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 2235

Posted on Thursday, 10 April, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and don't forget using those same proto boards I suggested in the other thread, Help On Surface Mount. The Schmart Boards, and other ones, by Capital.

You can mount many "odd" parts on them and just plug them vertical into a bread board. Surface mount chips etc....

Or better yet, look at them, look at their website, the products, and make your own next time you make some PCB's. They're really easy, some are just a single 8 pin chip.

Saves bread baord space too, and uses up un-used PCB space when you etch a board.

joe
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 405

Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2008 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had a reply from Gordon's techbots suggestion.

They assure me that they have square holes, and they are reasonaly priced as well, so have ordered a couple to see what they are like.

Fingers crossed,
Joe

graham
Regular Contributor
Username: graham

Post Number: 33

Posted on Saturday, 12 April, 2008 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iam intrigued by this conversation.What is the difference ?. The question made me look at mine It has a logo K and H products model A14. [round hole] it was the largest. Non on board supply unit in the Maplin range at that time. And yes i wish if given the opurtunity at that time.I would have purchased additional units to link across. I b/b almost everything using the c/d as a template. And using all the various colours of the 1mm single core cable . These bent wires are kept for reuse

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 2238

Posted on Sunday, 13 April, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I gather, the .1" centers strips with various square posts, will not plug into the boards you have (at least not without some force).

You know the terminals, same thing you would plug in a floppy disk cable, just square posts, on .1" centers.

Square peg into a round hole sort of deal.

I've never see a bread board with round holes myself, seems sort of silly to that, but hey...

joe
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 413

Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gordon,
Good call on the Technobots people.
Board arrived in the post today and has lovely square holes in it.

I just now hope they arn't some incarnation of Maplin, only ever have 1 in stock at a time and I find I've just cleaned them out.

Thanks,
Joe

philwarn
Frequent Contributor
Username: philwarn

Post Number: 200

Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2008 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they are a re-incarnation of WCB who traded at the same address in Totton.

I always wonder how a company can grow out of the ashes of a "failed" company.

WCB - the W is for William aka Bill.

EPE had ads from them and inserts too.

Then, they just faded away with still part of my order outstanding.

Then a few weeks' later, I saw them, advertising from the same Old Grain Store, Totton.

Funny old world!

Phil

obiwan
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 2244

Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes, the people running a company don't do things quite right (no kidding! right?) so they do go under. Bills piling up, angry customers that leave and don't come back etc....

So they go under. Maybe bankrupt.

But, the infrastructure could still be in place. Boxes of papers, suppliers, distributors etc... All just like they were when they went out of business.

So somebody comes along, and sees all that stuff sitting there, and says "Hey, I know how to make this work" and they buy it.

Maybe they'll purchase it outright, maybe it's a fire sale, maybe a partner will buy the other partner out and re-do everything in his name this time.

Sometimes you can get a deal on a company like this. Believe it not, there's people out there that just simply do not know what they're doing and will run a company right into the ground.

Check out Ely Olds (of Oldsmobile fame) for a fantastic example. Brilliant mind and inventor, car builder, but man, that guy just could NOT run a company. in the end, he couldn't even use his own name any longer! (at least I think his name was Ely. You can check it with google if you're interested in it, good read)

philwarn
Frequent Contributor
Username: philwarn

Post Number: 201

Posted on Wednesday, 16 April, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ransom Eli Olds to be precise

Phil

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page