Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Free PIC tutorials

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 07 September, 2008 » Free PIC tutorials « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 272

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 03 September, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i found this site tucked away in a corner of the internet;the owner designed the SILICON CHIP magazine christmas star (think it made its way over to EPE too...)
it has a section on programming baseline PICs in C using free compilers;something i have never seen anywhere else on the web.
if you download from it please make a donation as it looks very useful and definately worth supportinghttp://www.gooligum.com.au/index.html

eagre
Frequent Contributor
Username: eagre

Post Number: 293

Posted on Thursday, 04 September, 2008 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks hackinblack. This looks like an interesting web site. It isn too bad that they don't have examples dealing with more advanced PICs.

And I don't find the Hi-Tech C compilers particularly attractive. I prefer the free version of mikro C.

Ed

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 273

Posted on Thursday, 04 September, 2008 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the site appears to be aimed at hobby level experimenters,and his kits;so 18series PICs dont really feature.
i think the comparison between compilers is a real eye opener,it matches other more biased reviews i've seen.
HiTech C produces bloated code,and looks the more difficult to type in,even for very brief programs.i gave that compiler a miss;not least of all on price...

Mikro c also produces larger code in comparison to BoostC,by quite a good percentage too;but lots of built in libraries (more than Boost)i got the free MikroC with a board but found the manual of little use as C was then alien to me;it could be it's been updated,but i havn't looked.

The CCS programs are almost bewildering in both price and what PIC's each one WONT cover;to cover all the PIC types would cost outrageous amounts.and DOS based programs? what decade are they stuck in?

it struck me that the other articles would make great EPE content.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1196

Posted on Friday, 05 September, 2008 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What advantage is there in writing a non command line compiler?

Lots of compilers run on dos or the 32 bit equivalent.

The IDE is, of course, another matter.

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 277

Posted on Friday, 05 September, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would think that a non commmand-line compiler would be easier to use;which was after all the reason operating sytems went over to GUE's;it is easier to click on a button than type comands and risc spealing misteaks
if the compiler is part of an IDE then why operate it differently?

alexr
Regular Contributor
Username: alexr

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, 06 September, 2008 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you will find that most (all?) compilers are actually command-line programs but the IDE hides the fact from the user by automatically calling up the complier with the switches and arguments needed for the proper compilation of the source code.

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 278

Posted on Saturday, 06 September, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes i know,the graphic front-end just makes the users life easier!

the argument for using a command line boils down to ergonomics and preference.

i started computing with PCM then DOS before the giddy new windows (version 2)which,looking back,was hardly more than a bodge.

using a command line could make less demands on the computer specification-wise;but this all falls down when you look at the bloat that is MPLAB v8xx;which ran like it was steam powered on my old P2 laptop.
i dont suppose not being good at typing is a good start to C developement either way

eagre
Frequent Contributor
Username: eagre

Post Number: 294

Posted on Sunday, 07 September, 2008 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I felt far more comfortable with DOS, where I (almost) understood its workings, particularly software interrupts. It let me easily set or read any pin on on a parallel or serial port and thus interface with a variety of external devices that I liked to build.

Since W98 there has been no real access to DOS. This has probably made life easier for most, but not for me. It just shows my age. I will always maintain a W98 computer.

Ed

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page