Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pickit2 tri-state

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 28 December, 2008 » Pickit2 tri-state « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 57

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 27 November, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my pickit2 a week or so back - nice one EPE.

I need to use rb6 and rb7 whilst in development and I had hoped that these pins would be tri-stated by the programmer when not needed.

Unless I go to Low Voltage programming, it seems to be impossible to instruct the programmer to tristate the program lines.

The Microchip advice is to use resistors to isolate the programmer, but I cannot see how that will help.

Is this still an omission from Microchip or have I missed something here?

rgds

mb

epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: epithumia

Post Number: 596

Posted on Thursday, 27 November, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't use pickit2 but...

I usually put 220 ohm resistors between the PIC and the programmer. That allows the PIC to drive RB6/7 even when the programmer is connected, or bidirectional data to a device such as an LCD display. It allows my circuit to override the programmer's outputs.

Of course, it wouldn't work with a high impedance circuit driving the PIC.

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 58

Posted on Friday, 28 November, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for comments epi.

Yes, I have a keyboard hanging off the port, so its difficult to 'share' the pins.

It seems amazing that after all this time, a Microchip product still does not tri-state the progam lines.

I am now building a small isolation circuit, based around those analogue switches (4069 is it?), enabled by MCLR.

rgds
mb

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 60

Posted on Sunday, 30 November, 2008 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested I have built the isolator using a 4016 quad switch. I may docmnet and send to EPE.

rgds
mb

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page