Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Xmas star (Dec project) PIC12f683...

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 28 December, 2008 » Xmas star (Dec project) PIC12f683 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pau2756
Just joined
Username: pau2756

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 09 December, 2008 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to electronics and PIC's and have jumped in with both feet.

I built the xmas star from scratch and all has gone well.

I got the PIC12f682 and attempted to prog it with PICPgm Develop Programmer V1.0.1.2 and it appears to prog okay but i made a blunder.

I left the tick in the box @Code Memory (Flash) - i take it this is bit i was supposed to untick.

I assume this is the PIC's onboard code that it needs to function, if so is it possible to get this code from anywhere or is the chip now usless?

Hope someone can help me as the xmas star doesn't even double up as a coaster - dohh.

Many thatnks for any help
Paul

barry
Frequent Contributor
Username: barry

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Paul
As no-one else is responding...

I don't have the mag with the xmas star project, but I have not heard of the 12f682 - did you mean 12f683?
I have 3 programmers, but not your PICPgm... - maybe that is the software you are using? What hardware programmer are you using?
If you think you have programmed it wrong, can't you just re-program it.
Barry

magnum4
Frequent Contributor
Username: magnum4

Post Number: 669

Posted on Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the downloads section?
Regards,
Jim

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 423

Posted on Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont really understand the question... but from what little i know about PICS:

>>I left the tick in the box @Code Memory (Flash) - i take it this is bit i was supposed to untick.

I think this is to distinguish the executable code memory from the EEPROM (i.e., semi-permanent data storage, as distinct from executable instructions) that some pics have and which can be filled up by some programmers.
I think you did right (although by mistake) and left the box ticked.

>I assume this is the PIC's onboard code that it >needs to function, if so is it possible to get >this code from anywhere or is the chip now >usless?

The pic doesn't come from the factory with any special software code in it. The necessary inherent behaviour is hardwired into it - you cannot erase that. All you can erase is your own software that you put into it.

Just erase the PIC - must be an option to do this in your programmer, and re-program it.

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 670

Posted on Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just checked. On the new site go into Libary, however there is no code posted yet for the dec issue,??
Regards,
Jim

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 671

Posted on Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God for the mirror site. Hope it wont dissappear anytime

Try here
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~starbug/epepic3.htm
Regards,
Jim

pau2756
Just joined

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

Once again thanks for all the help.
The code is in the library (you need to take next page at the bottom).

I have a file called xmasStar.hex and this is what i am trying to send to the chip. It appears to go ok and verifies ok but it does nothing.

The sofware was a free download 'PICPgm Develop Programmer and i know the board is a cheap on (I'm working on santa to fund a new one) but appears to prog ok.

I whave uploaded screen shots of my s/w and what it is doing.
application/octet-streamScreen shot
Document.rar (146.0 k)

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 664

Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the EPE Download section, I would like to clarify that the December 2008 issue's codes (Christmas Star and more) have been available on www.epemag.com for some time, however it is on page 2 (follow the Next >> link)

The January 2009 issue codes are being readied at the moment.
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at www.epemag3.com

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 672

Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Alan.

Pesky Glasses
Regards,
Jim

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 674

Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Barry Said Its a 12f683. I cannot open your attachment.

Make sure you have the correct PIC type selected, and that the configuration bits are set correctly.

HTH
Regards,
Jim

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 675

Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Paul, Im not sure you can reprogram your PIC. I just had a quick look at the circuit diagram and MCLR is used as an i/o. I think this means that it cannot be reprogrammed, as the MCLR is no longer available. Hope Im wrong. But I did notice a BOLD warning about only programming the EEprom in the mag.

Sorry.
Regards,
Jim

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 665

Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ref document.rar, I tried right-clicking on the file, open in new tab, IE7 then asks permission to open or save, go save... and save to desktop.

After saving, change the file extension to .rar and it opens to launch a (big) RTF file.

Unfortunately rar files cause a bit of anxiety on our webserver -- another way is to upload files for free to rapidshare.com, then put the link into the CZ.
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at www.epemag3.com

pau2756
Just joined

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2008 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi folks

Thanks to all for reading and trying to help me it is very reassuring as i am sure i will be needing loads of help in the future.

I have managed to fix my star (well almost) so XMAS can officially begin.

I made my PCB in a mirror image for some reason and made sure when i assembled all the bits were also put on in a mirror image but forgot about the chip, so the pin banks were round the wrong way. I have had to solder a couple of wires in so i can cross them over and YIPPEE it works.

I now have a problem with a row of 4 led's not working but i can sort this, must have a diode in the wrong way round.

Once again thanks to all for the help.

eagre
Frequent Contributor
Username: eagre

Post Number: 318

Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2008 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim -

Thanks a lot for your link to the EPE mirror site. I've had a bit of trouble adapting to the new epemag.com site. Does the mirror handle FTP, as this is, by far, my preferred method of download?

Ed

thomass
Frequent Contributor
Username: thomass

Post Number: 69

Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mirror site is not an FTP, you just need to Right Hand Click on the link and select Save As..

All of the files are zipped so you might need Winzip to open them

Thomas Stratford
EPE Mirror site Webmaster
None shall pass What ? None shall pass

barry
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I being thick?

The new website download area asks for an ID number that "you've got in the email" - what email? Did I get something years ago?? - Is my memory going?
Thanks for any insights!

meikled
Just joined
Username: meikled

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi - I'm the author of the Christmas Star project.

I'm glad that there's been some success (mixed, but hey, things like mirror-image PCBs can easily happen!).

Concerning Jim's point on reprogramming - it depends on your programmer. Some programmers (such as Microchip's ICD2) don't like to have internal MCLR and internal RC clock configured, while others (such as the PICkit 2) have no problem with it.

About the EEPROM box being ticked or not - this only applies if you are using a PICkit 2 programmer (although other programmers will have equivalent options) to write your own pattern sequences.

The main program on the Star implements an interpreter for a simple "pattern languange", i.e. display this sequence of patterns at a given speed for some number of times, then the next sequence, then some random twinkling, etc. If you're not trying to invent your own patterns, and you buy a pre-programmed PIC, then there is no need to go anywhere near a programmer. Just in case that wasn't clear from the article - making up your own patterns is an optional feature. The point is that you don't have to understand PIC programming to do it.

By the way, I'd be interested to hear of any interested pattern sequences that people have come up with - I never assumed that mine couldn't be bettered!

David Meiklejohn
www.gooligum.com.au

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 677

Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, Glad you got sorted, and we all have had mirror pcb`s

Ed thomas has sorted you, I like the layout of the mirror, and I also like the new option of downloading all the source code on EPE.com. Its easy then to store the code with the actual mag.Thanks Alan

Barry, that is the download area for downloading the online version of the mag, For the code just select library form the links at the top of the page

David, thanks for the heads up , I have a few 629`s here that I cannot reprogram, because of using the mclr and int osc, with ICD2, but I do have pickit2, so useful to know. Thanks
Regards,
Jim

barry
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 78

Posted on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks magnum4 - got it now
(download area is not the download area on the right!)
Arghhhh
Barry

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page