Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Turns counter for coil winder

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 09 February, 2009 » Turns counter for coil winder « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pepbox
Just joined
Username: pepbox

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 04 February, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all you experts, can anyone help me with some software to enable me to make a turns counter for a coil winder, I want to use a PIC and possible a couple of devices using a modual containing a LED and a photo transistor to detect when either a white or black strip pases the detector, I need to be able to detect forward and backwards, I hope I am able to work out the software to drive a seven segement display my self, well we can live in hope!!! Regards for now Pepe

barry
Frequent Contributor
Username: barry

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, 04 February, 2009 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
I did this 25 years ago to count resistors on a bandolier.
I used 74xx TTL, but needed 3 sensors as I remember in order to detect direction of forwards & backwards.
So I guess you would need 3 sensors or 3 white strips.
The PIC should not be a problem to replace TTL, but the mechanics were a bit touchy for my resistor wires anyway.
Barry

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 694

Posted on Wednesday, 04 February, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From memory direction sensing was covered some years ago in Circuit Surgery, Ian Bell -- we were asked to design a counter for bats entering a roost. The principle of quadratures enables direction (and speed) sensing. Ian suggested LEDs and logic principles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at http://www.epemag3.com

steerpike
Frequent Contributor
Username: steerpike

Post Number: 429

Posted on Thursday, 05 February, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Direction sensing can be done with two photo-detectors - closely spaced, and then you XOR them. The XOR goes high for one direction, low for the other. Either detector can then be used for the actual counting.
I modified my lathe for coil winding, used an ICM7217 - it does the whole tootie with no peripherals needed - but i think it's obsolete now - and with thumbwheel switches to pre-set the count.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page