Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Energy saving lighting again

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 10 March, 2009 » Energy saving lighting again « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 707

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 08 March, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year is the last year that you can buy 60 watt light bulbs (UK).

Dave mentioned elsewhere in the CZ the new Philips Halogen bulbs, which I've only seen on sale at B&Q.

I found an Osram equivalent here -- this is the way I will be going, once I've burned my stockpile of 60W bulbs... Frosted and clear are available.

I really see less and less point in CFLs, and the halogen energy saving replacements will be the way to go IMHO

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/product/detail.php?id=3717
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at http://www.epemag3.com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

petelobus
Frequent Contributor
Username: petelobus

Post Number: 228

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 09 March, 2009 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In defense of CFL's I've found them great in leadlamps. Usually I get through 2 or 3 ordinary bulbs a day, maybe 50% fewer if I use rough service bulbs (at 4 or 5 times the price). One secondhand CFL has lasted for 6 months. Not so much heat either, so it doesnt burn your hands/wrists/head. Still has the problem that wherever you put the lamp it shines in your eyes, and not on the job, and once you have got it in a nearly acceptable place, it falls off at the most critcal phase of the job. Guess that is not the fault of the bulb (sorry lamp)!

Power LEDs are good too, but expensive at the moment. I've been making a few lights for an off grid, low voltage application, using an array of six 1Watt white LEDs. It'll light a room so you can read comfortably, and comes on to full brightness straight away, even in low temperatures. Reading the specs I think that 1W LEDs give more light output per Watt than the 5W ones.

Ian

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page