Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Model ship electronics

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 10 April, 2009 » Model ship electronics « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

raptor
Regular Contributor
Username: raptor

Post Number: 37

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 09 April, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all!

Some of you may remember me from several years back. Anyway, as I may have said in the past, I'm no longer much into electronics and switched to computing/programming. Thus, my electronics skills are quite rusty by now.

Recently, I've embarked on an interesting project of creating a small ship model completely driven by a computer on the main land (via remote control). It's all very interesting, but the problem is I'm quite stumped on the electronics part, especially when it comes to connecting modules together.

Following is a (prototype) in detail of what I'm trying to achieve. Looks easy on paper .
http://covac-software.com/WaterCraft.gif

Suggestions on the modules? A set of RF Modules for each transciever? How do GPS modules work (incidentally, there's a recent topic on GPS)?
Also, do compass components exist (I take they are easy to construct)? As to the Encoder/Decoder I take it is the work a for PIC/EEPROM? I've got a Microchip PicKit1 board to do the job of tuning them.

Suggestions and constructive criticism is most welcome! Meanwhile bear with my lack of knowledge in detailed electronics. One thing I'm good at is with the iron. Design ain't my best part.

Kind regards,
Christian Sciberras.
C. Sciberras

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 534

Posted on Thursday, 09 April, 2009 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many digital compass modules out there.

A google search will throw pages of them, and there not that expensive.
http://www.willow.co.uk have some for example.

I've also seen them on Ebay.

The GPS modules usually spit out a data stream in NMEA format and are available as USB, RS232 and I2C etc configurations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

They need an external antenna usually but it's only small.

Joe
Do one thing each day that scares you – work here !

raptor
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, 09 April, 2009 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://superdroidrobots.com/product_info/compass.htm

That looks pretty promising. What about transmission and battery state?

Kind regards,
Chris.

(Message edited by raptor on 09 April, 2009)

(Message edited by raptor on 09 April, 2009)

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 536

Posted on Thursday, 09 April, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there are battery monitoring IC's out there. Have a look at www.maxim-ic.com

Transmission will depend on local laws to what frequencies you can use.

What sort of range are you looking for ?

It has to be bi-directional of course, control signals out, telemetry on the back haul.
Perhaps a video feed back to shore ?

Some intelligence to make the ship somehow return to shore should the control signal be lost might be an idea.

Joe
Do one thing each day that scares you – work here !

raptor
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 39

Posted on Friday, 10 April, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

50-100 meters on an open area. I can ask a friend of mine on the local frequency laws - he's a HAM technician.

Video feedback seems too much and pretty useless, since there's nothing to see except water eveywhere :-).

Regards,
Chris.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page