Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Where can I get this capacitor

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 10 June, 2009 » Where can I get this capacitor « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tommy
Regular Contributor
Username: tommy

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2009 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am repairing a PC switch mode power supply for a friend and discovered a capacitor with the vent on top open and a hole in the side.

However, having check all the usual vendors I am unable to source this capacitor. The main problem is the diameter - 6mm. The components are very close on the board and a larger 8mm diameter cap does not fit.

The details are:

electrolytic
radial
470 micro Farad
10 volt
diameter 6mm
height 15mm
LZ
105 Deg C

alec_t
Just joined
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tommy,
Panasonic FM series has a 220u 6mm cap.
Alternatively, have you got room above board to mount, say, an 8 or 10mm cap on its side with lead extensions?
Neither solution is ideal, but might be worth a try if the cap is not in a critical part of the circuit and is not a safety component.
Regards, Alec

chippie
Frequent Contributor
Username: chippie

Post Number: 219

Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am repairing a PC switch mode power supply for a friend and discovered a capacitor with the vent on top open and a hole in the side.

Importantly...Why has this happened?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

tommy
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2009 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies.

I put my multi-meter leads on the outputs and +5VDC an -5VDC both read OK. I put my scope leads on both outputs before removing the damaged caps and there were lots of spikes on the +5V. The -5V looked completely smooth. I suspect just the caps.

I will runs some leads to the 8mm cap and see what happens.

externet
Frequent Contributor
Username: externet

Post Number: 134

Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tommy: Replace it with another brand 470uF of at least 16 V. Can find an used one from any defunct electronic equipment.
Abolish the deciBel !

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 656

Posted on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful what you replace it with. It is probably a hi ripple capacity, low ESR cap.

They die because they get a lot of punishment in the ripple dept and the designers of these things use caps with ratings that will only just do the job.

TM

epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: epithumia

Post Number: 651

Posted on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's from a switching PSU then I suspect it will be a low ESR type. That might be what LZ means. (What colour is it?) Replacing a low ESR with a normal capacitor will give larger output noise and the capacitor may overheat.

8mm diameter was the smallest low ESR capacitor I could find:
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufc1a471/capacitor-470uf-10v/dp/9691944

quote:

Importantly...Why has this happened?

Just a guess:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

epithumia
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 652

Posted on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see you specifically said that 8mm was too big. Sorry.

I would look further, but the Farnell site is offline.

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

epithumia
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 653

Posted on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this:
http://uk.farnell.com/united-chemi-con/esmg100ell471mf11d/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitor/dp/1369485

470uF 10V 6.3mm x 11mm (General purpose type)

Epi

chippie
Frequent Contributor
Username: chippie

Post Number: 220

Posted on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Epi,

Not really suitable imho...It is a general purpose cap with an 85C rating...I suspect it isnt a lo ESR type...Plus there is an extra £15 or so shipping charge...Not really worth the "try this".....

I looke at ESR electronics, they are usually good for this sort of thing, but alas no good...

RS may be worth a try?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

bignev
Valued Member
Username: bignev

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, 13 May, 2009 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas, Rubycon YXF/ZL/ZLH low ESRs (what I would use) are not available in 6mm (6V3 only in this size). You want 10V caps on a 5V output, ideally. Could you sleeve the leads and have it sticking above the other components?

tommy
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, 23 May, 2009 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies; I managed to fix a 470 micro F 10V cap onto the board using short extension wires. The waveform on the scope looked nice and smooth. I gave the supply back to its owner last weekend and have not heard anything so I assume it worked.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page