Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

PC audio question

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 10 June, 2009 » PC audio question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 93

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 14 May, 2009 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
My desktop has a set of 3 audio connectors at the back, just where they're really convenient to get to. I use the line-in to record stuff off the radio from time to time and dont want to remove it, but I have some stuff I want to do which involves injecting a different signal into the line-in. I have found a PCI sound-card, so I could shove this in and have a second line-in connection, but how do I tell the compiuter which input I want to monitor at any time?

Bruce

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 545

Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2009 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce,
assuming that your op-sys and hardware will allow for a second sound card (and depending on the sound card they may share the same IRQ's etc so you can't), select Control Panel, then Sounds and Audio Devices, then the Audio tab.
You can specify which devices to use for sound recording and playback from the drop-down lists.

However, if you are just need this "dual input" feature from time to time, it would probably be cheaper just to add a toggle switch connected to a 3.5mm stereo jack and a couple of line sockets, or build a very simple mixer. With the mixer, you could share the line-in with 2 or more audio sources as needed.

Joe
Do one thing each day that scares you – work here !

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 98

Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Joe,
I wrote a reply to this post this morning but it seems to have dissappeared without trace. Computers, huh! They'll never catch on.

Bruce

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page