Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Electricity dangers

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 23 June, 2009 » Electricity dangers « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

violin
Valued Member
Username: violin

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I only started a new thread because I felt very strongly in putting my own point across it and the original one has now been closed for what ever reasons that I am yet to understand why and also hoping this post will be allowed.

Initially I was in two minds in whether I wanted to see this or not knowing of its end content and in the end with my interest towards electricity it overrode any other factors towards it and succumbed to watching it and after watching it have decided that this a valuable piece of educational footage that should taken around schools (as already stated) and so as to serve as a warning and then perhaps less lives will be lost this way. - Itís to late for the 22yr old female from my town who unfortunately also lost her live this way. Regards

(Message edited by violin on 10 June, 2009)

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 123

Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Violin,
I never got to see the original because every time I tried to open it my computer crashed and it takes ages to get it up and running again. Mind you, you wouldn't pull any muscles jumping to the conclusion that the guy on the train made contact with the contacts. Probably had the biggest shock of his life.
My own view is that s**t happens - deal with it. And there is within the human psyche a darker side: you laugh when people trip over, there's a lot of humour, black humour, in death and disaster. I always say: you cant legislate against what you feel, even if it offends someone else. Like it or not, there is a morbid fascination with death, particularly when it's as graphic as that one is ( I assume ).
Unfortunately ( well, it depends on your point of view ) there is always some santimonious individual on hand to lecture you on morality. For myself ( and this is a persoinal view ) I dont get sentimental about things and I refuse to listen to people who tell me what I should feel. Well, I'm responsible for what I do, not what I feel. There is a host of people out there whose life's ambition is to be 'offended'.
I suppose, for the benefit of the sensitive in our midst, it might have been better posted on a 'drop-box', so then , if you take the trouble to look, you only have yourself to blame.
God preserve us from the 'politically correct'. If you think I exaggerate, then consider the guy with a 'pick-your-own' strawberry farm ( you may have heard about it ). After 40 years of trouble-free operation someone sued him because she twisted her ankle. The Health and Safety executive ( otherwise known as the A**l Retentives ) have ordered him to install walkways and SAFETY RAILS ( in a flat field they want safety rails!! ). He's going out of business. Result!
Excuse me, I have to lie down in a darkened room....

Bruce

epithumia
Frequent Contributor
Username: epithumia

Post Number: 659

Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with much of what you say, but Political Correctness is not the same as Health and Safety, and Health and Safety is not the same as fear of litigation.

(Comedian Stewart Lee recently did a skit about people who can't tell the difference.)

Also, many of the stories like this that infuriate people have Health and Safety professionals rolling their eyes as well!

Epi
If you need me, Neil and me will be hanging out with the Dream King. - Tori Amos

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Epi,
Not only can I not tell the difference between H&S and 'political correctness' I cant tell the difference between Stork and butter. This can make life very difficult.

Bruce

terry
Frequent Contributor
Username: terry

Post Number: 525

Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stork and butter..hmmmm..that's a tricky one.

Terry

petelobus
Frequent Contributor
Username: petelobus

Post Number: 230

Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are not Storks the things that bring babies?

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 740

Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I closed the original thread because I did not want to perpetuate in gory detail what risked becoming quite a gruesome thread.

I think the point about the dangers has been made graphically enough, and any discussions covering general risks of HT power lines can be made separately.

(Message edited by admin on 11 June, 2009)
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at http://www.epemag3.com

terry
Frequent Contributor
Username: terry

Post Number: 526

Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2009 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well to be fair it was a bit of a shock (no pun intended) but I think it is worth seeing. Before the video I would have expected burns to the hand and feet only plus his heart to stop but it was like a science fictinon film.
Not good for everybody to watch as I know some that would burst into tears and have nightmares for days but it is real life and death happens.
I went to school with a boy who lost his brother playing on the railway tracks, Im sure a video like this would put many more off playing on railways or climbing pylons.

Terry

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page