Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ZN414: just for amateurs?

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 28 July, 2009 » ZN414: just for amateurs? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Lightening DetectorCan anyone tellryabsley04/07/09  07:36 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

quornhog
Regular Contributor
Username: quornhog

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2009 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ZN414 TRF chip was used in umpteen projects in amateur electronics magazines such as EPE.

Was it ever used in a commercial product? It'd be interesting to find out.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes!"

green
Frequent Contributor
Username: green

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, 01 July, 2009 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the late seventies I think Henries Radio used to sell a radio control kit and the ZN414 (?) was used as the receiver IF amp.

echase
Frequent Contributor
Username: echase

Post Number: 198

Posted on Wednesday, 08 July, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the 1970s Sinclair matchbox sized radio use it? Still have one somewhere, made from a kit I think. It worked reasonably well but used button cells that were quite hard to obtain/expensive at the time. Better get it out and try it again before they turn off MW!

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1296

Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might have done, it got redesigned, IIRC... my 1960s version had 3 of those gold plated (& no doubt parametric fallout) transistors...

echase
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 201

Posted on Friday, 10 July, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Sinclair Micromatic has two TO-92 black epoxy 'transistors' marked just 85L. I doubt they are ZN414.

Do these have radios have any value to collectors?

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 447

Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Edward,

They may have a little value, try asking here:
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

Undoubtedly more could be raised elsewhere of course, if one wished to bother...

Regards Ant

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1300

Posted on Monday, 13 July, 2009 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But be careful... mentioning ebay on that forum leads to all sorts of distress... ROTFLMFAO...

I have rarely met a less welcoming place.

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 449

Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Zeit,

It's interesting how different forums can be run so differently. One of the excellent things here is the light touch - I read all the posts, including the stuff well over my head, in case it's gone off sideways...

Regards Ant

echase
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 202

Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking I was being helpful I posted on one Alternative Energy Forum an innocuous post with a link to the EPE website to announce my solar controller article. I got banned for life with some pretty rude language from the moderator, as if I was an Eastern European spammer! Although it claimed to be Britainís no. 1 such Alternative Energy Forum it seems it is linked to the sale of one particular supplierís solar products, so they took offence to my Ďadvertisingí what they perceived as a DIY rival to them selling their ready built controllers.

Itís a jungle out there and I agree that the people on this forum and its Moderator(s) are an excellent bunch of fellows.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1301

Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What really amused me was all my posts being deleted... all 4 of them... ROTF...

There's now just a single mention of me on that site, coz someone else quoted my first post...

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1302

Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, on the ZN414 front, I remember a company using one as an AM detector in the IF of an NBFM (narrow bandwidth) receiver.

I have no idea what it was intended to do, since FM IFs tend to remove any AM... maybe it was some sort of gain control.

vlf
Frequent Contributor
Username: vlf

Post Number: 201

Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who wish to seek further information and history on Sinclair, URL below...

http://s206301103.websitehome.co.uk/sinc.miniradio.htm

Regards, Brian.

thomas
Frequent Contributor
Username: thomas

Post Number: 292

Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting page, Brian. I owned the Sinclair Micromatic. And the Astrad Orion, which was a Soviet-made radio -- surely smaller than the Micromatic. Last time I checked, the Electronics Supermarket in Cape Town (at Eagle Electric) still had dozens of ZN414s. Various ICs perform much the same function as the ZN414. For instance, I did a radio for a magazine based on the LM386. Plug a tuned circuit straight into the inputs, and a diode at the output, and you have a TRF radio.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page