Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Outdoor pir sensor

:: EPE Chat Zone ≠:: ≠Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 02 September, 2009 » Outdoor pir sensor « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mel
Frequent Contributor
Username: mel

Post Number: 78

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all
Does anyone know where I can get an EXTERNAL, weatherproof,( outdoor) low voltage ( about 12 volts)operated PIR Sensor from,to connect to a burglar alarm. The only ones I can find ( perhaps im looking in the wrong place)are mains operated, that switch lights on. Perhaps these can be modified to work from 12 volt?}

dave_g
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_g

Post Number: 534

Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy a standard PIR and put it in a clear plastic box.

Don't forget to drill a small hole, or holes, at the bottom of the box to avoid condensation.

You might also need to consider the field of view to get the performance you want.

The mains operated ones often have a relay output which would have galvanic isolation from mains and so could be used on a 12v system, however you could only find this out by disassembly. Alternatively, mount a separate 240v coil relay or optoisolator arrangement.

If you need a 240v coil relay, I'd use a DIN rail mounted one (e.g. Hager). All this assumes you have mains available, of course!

Hope that helps.

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 161

Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mel,
I wish you luck, but I reckon you wont find a commercial 12V PIR. However, you'll find that they operate from 5 to 8 volts, usually provided by a 78L series regulator.
Its reasonably straightforward to remove all the mains-related stuff and simply run the thing from your 12V.
The output arrangement is more tricky: the ones I've hacked had a relay whose contacts handled mains IN and mains OUT. Modern PIRs will probably have a load of smds which may make modifications impossible. The best thing is to remove the relay and fit something of your own. For a basic burglar alarm system you probably only need a reed relay

HTH
Bruce

dave_squibb
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_squibb

Post Number: 196

Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2009 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RS part no 455-558

Data at:
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/brochure/2926x309xwatchout-ENG.pdf

terrym
Frequent Contributor
Username: terrym

Post Number: 676

Posted on Thursday, 13 August, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the PIR's used in burglar alarms are 12v units. I'm looking at 20 the odd sitting in front of me, they only have a low voltage relay, so you would need to use an additional relay if you want to switch mains.

TM

paul_goodson
Frequent Contributor
Username: paul_goodson

Post Number: 986

Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mel

I have been using internal PIRís outside on my Cat Alarm water sprayer for a few years with no problems as far as water goes.
Just mastic around the case and Fresnel lens to make it water proof

I had a few problems with false triggering but I managed to cut this out within my programming code!!!

I did look at making a PIR at the same time. The link below is one that is available in kit form that maybe of some interest to you!

http://www.glolab.com/glmda/glmda.html

Paul
The bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory!!!!!!!

mel
Frequent Contributor
Username: mel

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all very interesting Paul... Thankyou!
Mel

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 462

Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Paul,

A cat deterrer - now _there's_ an interesting magazine article!

I've been contemplating something to drive a tweeter with something 'orrible when one comes within range. I reckon a 555 or two should do it, no need for high falutin' electronics apart from the PIR.

Regards Ant

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 165

Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mel, I think Paul has the best idea: an internal one that isnt designed for the mains: Making it weatherproof only needs a bit of bath sealant.

However, you could relatively easily make one of your own and then you could make it do exactly what YOU want and obviate the need to hack and modify an existing circuit. I've always found mucking around with an existing printed circuit board is a pain. You dont need to mess with etching. A piece of plastic board ( paxolin if you can get it. I have some suitable board you can have if you want. ) The Glolab kit looks OTT to me ( and expensive! ) There are lots of PIR circuits on the Net. In the past I have made several of these things using various designs.

HTH
Bruce

mikehibbett
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikehibbett

Post Number: 991

Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>A cat deterrer - now _there's_ an interesting magazine article!

It would be very short though.

"12 bore shotgun, cartridges loaded with rock salt".

Sometimes the simpler solutions are the best.

( only joking! Actually I use Pyracantha branches. It's a really sharp thorn, and very effective. Still not an interesting article though! )

kevinbrunt
Frequent Contributor
Username: kevinbrunt

Post Number: 78

Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has this "cat deterrer" got any connection with the Max Fiddling and Piddles thread?

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 167

Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! I do hope so.

Bruce

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 468

Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Kevin,

I couldn't possibly comment!

Regards Ant

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page