Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pole and Zeros

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 11 October, 2009 » Pole and Zeros « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 148

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2009 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to say well done EPE (Ian Bell) on your 2 pages of s function transforms.

I worked on that topic for a month when at University and never really understood it. I know some 30 years has now passed, but your writing was superb.

Those couple of pages should be copied out by Profs and given to first year students as background reading.

rgds

mb

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 1321

Posted on Wednesday, 09 September, 2009 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooooo, now there's a thought... :-)

davejs
Just joined
Username: davejs

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikeb, I couldn't agree more. I thought that the Log analogue (no pun intended) was inspired!
Dave

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2009 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave yep - I wished that analogy was given to me all those years ago. Teachers know what will fox their students - after all they teach the same stuff year after year.

Yet in my experience they made no effort to help - they seemed to dish the stuff out and loved to watch who sank and who swam.

Wierd.

rgds

mb

mikeb
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 159

Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other beautiful analogy that comes to mind was the explaination of 'in the limit'.

Place a polygon inside a circle and increase the number of sides - in the limit, the sides ARE the circle - simply fantastic, even to a poor Maths person like me.

rgds

mb

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page