Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Wooden clocks oxygen saturation , Oh...

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 11 October, 2009 » Wooden clocks oxygen saturation , Oh boy « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

magnum4
Frequent Contributor
Username: magnum4

Post Number: 717

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all.

Re the wooden clock question posted elsewhere, anyone do anything???

Re oxygen, I have spent a lot of this year in hospital, One thing that has puzzled me, Maybe someone can explain.

3 or 4 times a day blood pressure was taken, however I only realized last week that OXYGEN saturation is also measured by a simple finger probe?!!! I understand how the pulse rate is done, however I cannot under stand how the oxygen saturation is done???
Any one out there in the know?

(Message edited by magnum4 on 14 September, 2009)
Regards,
Jim

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 774

Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Related with absorbtion of some kind of light (infra / ultra ?). Seen that but not actually knowing what the nurse was doing.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

kevinbrunt
Frequent Contributor
Username: kevinbrunt

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a look at the Wikipedia entry for "pulse oximeter". The basic idea is that oxygenated haemoglobin is a different colour to deoxygenated, and by measuring at two wavelengths it's possible to derive the ratios of the two forms. (It also relies on there being a pulse, since the difference in the total amount of light transmitted can be assumed to be due to the haemoglobin.)

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 720

Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Kevin That seems to answer my question alright Thank you
Now the laminated clock anybody ?
Regards,
Jim

andrew
Regular Contributor
Username: andrew

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2009 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jim,

The laminated clock was my query - and I did say I would post results but unfortunately don't have any yet. The clock itself will be easy to make, I think it's just down to a choice of which laminate exhibits the best optical characteristics

magnum4
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 723

Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2009 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Andrew, I may try this myself also :-)))
Regards,
Jim

dean_huster
Frequent Contributor
Username: dean_huster

Post Number: 272

Posted on Saturday, 26 September, 2009 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not entirely off-topic since we're talking about oxygen sats. A very recent magazine article has noted that many bystanders are reluctant to perform CPR because of the stigma of the mouth-to-mouth contact and resulting consequences in this day and age. The article notes that chest compressions alone are all that's necessary to give the victim about the same chance of living through the episode as would doing full CPR. The problem with a heart attack is that blood flow stops. The blood contains a LOT of oxygen and to simply get the blood flowing through the brain and organs will minimize bodily damage and deterioration. The procedure is to (1) call the emergency number and (2) begin chest compressions and continue until emergency help arrives.

You can save a life.

Dean

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page