Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Atlas analyser question

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 11 October, 2009 » Atlas analyser question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 185

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I've run into a problem that someone may be able to help with; it concerns my Atlas component analyser. I'm sure many of you have them, too. I've had mine a couple of years and use it all the time. AFAIK it's working properly.
Recently I've been working on a SMPS which generates 400V; I use this to charge a capacitor which is then discharged by a SCR or Triac. Not rocket science. I've been having odd behaviour from this and, when I remove the SCR, it's always dead. Then I started to check them before I soldered them in.
Now, I have a box with about 50 of these things, both SCR and triac. They're almost all salvaged from old equipment. I've been doing this for years. They are a rag-bag of devices; mostly TO-220 and some TO-66. They vary from 400 to 800V and from 5A to 25A. When I checked them using the analyser, they all come up as unknown or faulty ( except 2 new/unused TIC106D and some MAC11-8s ) Everything else seems dud.
Now, it is stretching credulity to the limit to believe ALL these miscellaneous devices are dead. The analyser has no problem with bipolar or MOSFET transistors. Is there something tricky about high-power SCRs? If the analyser cant do it, I dont know how else you could test them.

Bruce

canonman
Frequent Contributor
Username: canonman

Post Number: 72

Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Peak Atlas was never guaranteed to be able to test SCRs and triacs, I think it was something to do with the test currents not being high enough.

You need one of these instead:

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_scr100.html

(Message edited by canonman on 01 October, 2009)

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 186

Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks David,
I see;
Tell me something: the analyser works off 12V and obviously has a microcontroller so that it can whizz around the 3 leads and very quickly tell you what it is plus the pin layout. It's a very handy gadjet and I use it frequently to check transistors. If it cant do big Triacs, then that's tough luck. I cant really justify spending nearly 100 quid on a dedicated gadjet for Triacs when I use them so infrequently. It would be invaluable to be able to test them occasionally, and I dont need the sophistication of a microprocessor to do it. Apart from making a breadboard circuit to supply it with, say, 200V and testing it the hard way, I'm not sure how you could do it sensibly; not with a tiny 12V battery.

Bruce

canonman
Frequent Contributor
Username: canonman

Post Number: 73

Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would imagine there's bound to be a simple circuit on the 'net somewhere for testing triacs.

Got to be worth a Google?

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 187

Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course! I'll get onto it.
Bruce

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 411

Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a simple one
http://home.scarlet.be/johnstaybank/test_triac_thyr.htm

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page