Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Power saving with a PC monitor

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 03 December, 2009 » Power saving with a PC monitor « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

phonoplug
Valued Member
Username: phonoplug

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there.

I know I have seen many simple circuits over the years for a simple way to turn off the power to your PC monitor, printer etc when the PC itself is off. But now I actually want to build one, I can't find any!

Can anyone point me in the direction of one that takes its signal from a USB port (5V output only when PC is on), and drives a triac through an opto isolator, to switch the monitor's power?

I have pretty much all issues of EPE and Elektor from at least the last 10 years so any published or web design would be fine.

Thanks!

g6osv
Frequent Contributor
Username: g6osv

Post Number: 78

Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2009 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solid state relays can be driven directly from the usb 5v,I currently use a dil reed relay driving a power relay but just about to build one with a ssr.
Ian

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 671

Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to be carfull using the power from the USB port as some computers tend to leave this live, even when the PC is switched off.

Joe
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

g6osv
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can usually but not always change it in the bios settings.
Ian

joe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: joe

Post Number: 672

Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't in mine, but it is now very old :-(
Read my ramblings - www.techbites.com/joe-farr

twintub
Regular Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

phonoplug,

Switching modern PC's 'OFF' only really puts them in a 'sleep' mode in which they still consume power and worse still, a lot of the electrolytic capacitors will still have power on them which means they will continue to age (albeit slowly!) and will also pose a slight risk of fire (as does anything which is left powered-up & unnattended!).
If you want to reduce power consumption to a proper 'zero' why not take the easy solution by running your PC and peripherals from a multiway extension cable plugged into ONE socket? All you then need do is to turn off that one socket.

The simple solutions are often the best solutions!

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 789

Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From all what is said, I wonder why when my PC at the office is turned OFF, the mouse shows its red LED on.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

g6osv
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 80

Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That means that the standby 5v usb supply is set to being on,this is present even when the pc is in standby unless it is set to being off,usually in the bios settings.
Ian

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 554

Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This application note may be of interest, there are a few opto triac circuits.

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Application_Notes/an1007.pdf

You could also use a simple 5/6 volt mains rated relay , which would also do the job.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page