Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Screen printing tracks and pads ....

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 26 December, 2009 » Screen printing tracks and pads .... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

green
Frequent Contributor
Username: green

Post Number: 109

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2009 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did ask about this some time ago. I read up on on the subject and what I have found, so far, can be seen at .....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/moonshadow/New_Folder/screen_printing.htm

green

zebedee2001
Username: zebedee2001

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2009 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't thick you should have too much problem printing etc. Your biggest issue may be the screen stretching/skewing your print. To stop this happening you need a tight mesh but also one that will allow through what you are printing!

I work for a company that makes thick film hybrids. We screen print conductors (Gold, silver etc), resistors & dielectrics to build up circuits for special hi-reliability applications. We can get tracks down to at least 4 thou line & gap.

green
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2009 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the reply. I am using 43T polymer mesh, because it was available. I tore the first screen by putting too much tension on a few staples. The second went a lot better by stretching progressively. I was surprised at how taunt the screen could become.

I am very impressed with the results your company is getting. The big question in my mind is I am very surprised that with those resolutions, screen printing is used instead of direct printing using UV cured 'inks' in a flatbed printer, not that I understand much about it Hi!.

Thank you for your comments, at least you did not laugh me off the forum Hi!.

ecotec
Regular Contributor
Username: ecotec

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2009 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green@

Thick film and pcb making are 2 different ballgames.

Thick film often uses noble metal inks which are then fired in a kiln.....essentially an additive process.........Like glazing pottery.

With pcbs, screen printing was the cheapest way to mass produce using automatic screen printing machines
http://www.lynxtron.com/DEK.htm

All sorts of methods have been used for pcb manufacture.......Plating copper tracks is another way........There are pros and cons for all methods........Cost is usually paramount.

Ecotec

zebedee2001
Username: zebedee2001

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2009 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not meaning to start an argument but I would disagree that thick film & PCBs are two different ball games. Just like the fact that the op has been asking t-shirt printing people about how they do it, it basically all comes down to depositing material via screen printing!

We use DEK printers like were linked to above to print thick film! I have known people in the past to use our thick film printers to print t-shirts when somebody leaves.

OK in one case you are printing resist & in the other conductor but you get similar affects due to the screen (in PCB your etch resist will have evidence of the mesh weave (dependant on flow of material) & in thick film you will have evidence of mesh in the actual conductor (mainly seen at the edges))

ecotec
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, 11 November, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zeberdee2001@

My response to Green was because of his statement
"I am very impressed with the results your company is getting. The big question in my mind is I am very surprised that with those resolutions, screen printing is used instead of direct printing using UV cured 'inks' in a flatbed printer,"

I was just pointing out that UV cured ink would not be appropriate for thick film.

Ecotec

green
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, 11 November, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that because of the thickness of the material deposited ?

ecotec
Regular Contributor

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green@

For an overview of Thick film technology see :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thick_film_technology

It's more akin to decorating pottery than to making pcbs.
The inks screen printed onto the ceramic substrate are not a "resist".....rather a "resistor". At least after they are fired in a kiln they turn into resistors.

Ecotec

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page