Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bird and Rodent Discouragement

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Forum Archives 2007-2009 » Archive through 26 December, 2009 » Bird and Rodent Discouragement « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

muskrat
Frequent Contributor
Username: muskrat

Post Number: 119

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have any ideas about electronic or electromechanical methods for scaring birds and rodents away?

Our crops are being chewed up by these critters, who bite through the wall of the pepper and eat the seeds, leaving a perfect pepper with a neat hole in one side - rendering it useless for sale.

I would rather not kill wildlife, however destructive they may be.

Poisoning rats and mice, for instance, will directly and indirectly affect the owls, hawks and eagles that we have in the area.

The 'normal' bird life also, is prolific, and I have no desire to haphazardly murder the bird population.

If I could find some method of discouragement, localised to the growing tunnels - that would be first prize.

kolbep
Regular Contributor
Username: kolbep

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps something along the lines of :
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17150727/Eagle_Eye_Light_Flashing_Bird_Deterrents.html

or

http://www.featherfree.com/EagleEye/installation.htm

Which I have seen used in a local supermarket (which is indoors, so they have 2 x par36 100w incandescent bulbs pointing at it, but from what I read, it is supposed to be used in sunlight.

Peter

(Message edited by kolbep on 02 December, 2009)

dave_squibb
Frequent Contributor
Username: dave_squibb

Post Number: 210

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wingaway.co.uk/ for birdscarers

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice idea. I'll look into making my own, though, this one is exorbitantly priced and is high maintenance.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 809

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surrounded by thousands of acres of arable land, my farming neighbour uses rockets that explode with a bang, to scare pigeons off - wish he would warn me first though...

We also have high power propane-powered scarers that let off a bl**dy enormous bang perodically.

You might think of a random-interval sound generator that blasts a high power audio squawk over a horn speaker, imitating the creature's distress call. Can you get an audio sample and digitise it? Daytimes only, so have an LDR switch and maybe solar charging.

Airports play tape recordings of distress calls, using mobile PA systems fitted to Landrovers. (What a job that must be for someone. I can imagine the driver running after them, flapping his arms as well.)

G'luck
Alan Winstanley

Visit EPE Online at http://www.epemag3.com

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK! I've got the Landrover! We also have a fair number of indigenous wildlife species in the immediate area (buck, bush-pigs and so on) which we treasure and wouldn't want to scare away. I've thought of the loud noises but am understandably cautious.

magnum4
Frequent Contributor
Username: magnum4

Post Number: 750

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard of a scarecrow in the form of a bird of pray. I.E. a silhouette cut out of a kestral for example.

I have no experience, but a friend clamed good success.

Cheap and easy to try out anyway :-))

HTH
Regards,
Jim

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 796

Posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall, at the Farnborouhg Air Show (1969) a hawk trained (by the Army or maybe Air Force) to frighten away the birds around the base area. It looked threatening.

In the place where I lived many many years ago, (rural area) scarecrows were considered useless.
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 123

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an open-field farm up the road from us, heavily populated with scarecrows. The birds use them as perches while contemplating their next vegetable attack!

Apparently, ultrasonic works with rodents, but not with birds.

eagre
Frequent Contributor
Username: eagre

Post Number: 347

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problems are cats, either feral or uncontrolled domestic, which slaughter songbirds and rip up any fabric-covered exterior furniture, etc. They have destroyed two 200USD car covers of mine in the last three years. Here, to shoot or poison them is defined as animal cruelty, a crime.

I have tried an ultrasonic repulsion system, without apparent effect. They apparently attack after dogs go to sleep. I haven't found a workable death ray.

Any suggestions?

Ed

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 124

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to think I was contemplating getting a handful of cats to catch the rodents!!! Think again!!!!

A visitor suggested a rotating 2litre plastic cool-drink bottle to scare the birds. It's a simple, low-cost idea which I will try. Problem though .... if there's no breeze (often happens) then the bottles will not rotate. Back to square one???

As far as discouraging cats goes: PIR and a noise-maker? If the cats are domestic, then maybe their owners should be kept awake by intermittent, loud noises. Earplugs for you and yours, of course!!

armadillo
Frequent Contributor
Username: armadillo

Post Number: 241

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

infra-red/ultra-sonic pest detector coupled to a garden hose valve??

Armadillo
There's no such thing as gravity..........
The earth sucks!

alec_t
Frequent Contributor
Username: alec_t

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those days when the wind DOES blow you could try a kite in the shape of a bird of prey. Such kites are already on sale, but would be easy to make.
An ultrasonic scarer is a no-no for birds, and from recent experience I doubt its effectiveness for land animals. I visited a garden where an ultrasonic 'scarer' had been buried to deter moles. The garden was full of mole-hills. Perhaps evidence of it being more of a lure than deterrent!!

Regards, Alec

mikeb
Frequent Contributor
Username: mikeb

Post Number: 211

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the secret is randomness - birds learn quickly. So, you need a library of scare measurers and a random selection device - yes a PIC of course.

Ideas are - sound, light, heat, vibration.

Other ideas are to look at the animals motivations say for a bird
- predation threat (can you learn to keep and exercise a bird of prey),
-hunger (ie is it cheaper to feed the birds grain away from your crops),
-biological (infection with known parasite non toxic to other animals).

Also, trap a bird and keep it in a cage in the field - its cries may deter others for a few days - then let it go?

rgds
mb

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Muskrat,
I would think that cats would be a good deterrent to rodents - provided you can view them as working animals and not pets! ( They would have to be kept hungry so they have the incentive to hunt for their living.) Other side-effects - well, they do like to dig holes, especially in soft, cultivated areas.
If you want to deter cats, the most effective way is with the motion-detector/water-spray gadgets. We have one called a Scarecrow which has proved very effective. Birds can be discouraged by hanging old CD's on a string - something to do with reflected light alarming them I believe, as they rotate. (You need a bit of breeze however to do that.)
Best of luck in your hunt for a solution.
Paul.

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 418

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

round here the crops are protected after a fashion by timer operated blank shotgun cartridges,which let go with a hell of a bang

and also drop from the sky onto my carbonfire night all hear round!

there is a big problem with over-use of poison,it is thrown about by the 25Kg bag willy nilly,poisoning everything that consumes it first,or second,hand;we lost three hunting barn cats to poisoned rats;2 died on our doorstep within 15 minutes of returning home.
the same happens to all the predators eating the rats;which causes an even greater rodent problem the following year...

as for birds the only really effective thing is nylon mesh to physically stop 'em getting at the crop.
maybe a PIC could create 'random' noises through a speaker,as they do learn quickly,but are a 'flight' creature,literally! they panic before thinking,if at all

ant
Frequent Contributor
Username: ant

Post Number: 514

Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long-nosed long-tailed short-legged terrier would sort 'em out!

Regards Ant

Some people call them alligators...

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 797

Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2009 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be VERY careful...

Scroll down, just a little

http://images.google.com.ar/imgres?imgurl=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/aprilbapryll/aligator2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blahhhhhg.blogspot.com/2005/03/what -happens-when-good-aligators-go.html&usg=__B5rMSMou-oFPriiXQriK_VGF2Og=&h=312&w=468&sz=49&hl=es&start=6&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=BqHKAWrS6YRO9M:&tbnh=85&tbnw=128&prev= /images%3Fq%3Daligator%2Bmovie%26hl%3Des%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

externet
Frequent Contributor
Username: externet

Post Number: 143

Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2009 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falconry is the only one that works.

Telling you this after managing 1500 hectares of shrimp farms; THAT is bird trouble. The ducks will perch on your rifle barrel if you fall asleep...
Abolish the deciBel !

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 132

Posted on Monday, 07 December, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coke-bottle 'windmill' works like a charm! I couldn't find shiny paint for the vanes - although the spray-can clearly stated "bright chrome"! - so I glued bits of aluminium foil onto them. I also sprayed a couple of red stripes down the length of the bottles.

They sit on a wooden dowel with a rounded end. I was extremely surprised how well they operate in very light breeze conditions.

It's probably early days, but so far - birds are definitely being discouraged from the immediate area. Once they learn that there is no actual danger - who knows .....

boris
Frequent Contributor
Username: boris

Post Number: 450

Posted on Monday, 07 December, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a windmill made from two CD/DVDs. Each is one blade of the propeller. Fix them at (say) 45 degrees angle to each other, 22.5 degrees angle to the shaft (axis of rotation). Another CD for the tail. Use needle for shaft to minimise friction.

A vertical version could be powered by a tiny motor + solar panel, for zero wind conditions. Same blade arrangement, but vertical axis. A little bit like a helicopter blade arrangement.
Thank you for not breeding.

ant
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 517

Posted on Monday, 07 December, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I've seen moving reflectors made from 1" or 1 1/2" wide shiny tape, several yards long, given a few twists so that the wind makes it rotate along its long axis. It would be easy to give it a small motor for when the wind don't blow.

Following that train of thought, I've used some fairly tough tape, 1/4" wide a bit like recording tape; stretched fairly tight it makes all sorts of buzzy noises in the wind.

Regards Ant

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 451

Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2009 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh. VHS video tape! Loads in one cassette.

ant
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 518

Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2009 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Boris,

The tape I used was narrower than that, more like domestic sound recording tape. I could imagine that a wider tape wouldn't vibrate fast enough to make a noise?

Regards Ant

boris
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 453

Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2009 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe it would vibrate more?

Nice and shiny too :-)

muskrat
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 142

Posted on Tuesday, 22 December, 2009 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The amount of bird damage to the crop has been markedly reduced. I think the rotating coke bottles have satisfied several of the criteria suggested - movement (variable, due to wind speed), sound, vibration and light.

I have also found a rodent poison that completely breaks down in the rodent, causing absolutely no damage to raptors or secondary scavengers. I am awaiting technical info on the product, which I will probably use. The product is called "Racumen". I have no idea whether this is a local or international product name.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page