Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Murata DC/DC (MEE1S0509DC) hot / frie...

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » Archive through 14 August, 2015 » Murata DC/DC (MEE1S0509DC) hot / fried « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frequent Contributor
Username: 741

Post Number: 688

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After some testing (trying to remove noise) I found that sometimes this DC-DC module got very hot.

The output-filter inductor was also hot, but there was no (deliberate) load! However, there must, presumably have been some external route for current to heat the inductor.

I suspected vero-board (burrs etc), then I wondered if the tantalum capacitor had shorted internally. I checked the tracks, replaced the capacitor.

Same thing. Now the DC/DC module has a bulge so is obviously dead.

As a post-mortem, I still cannot see any physical shorts.

It is likely that I may have sometimes, very briefly, shorted the output indavertently.

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 221

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if it actually has to have a load, it is after all a switch mode PSU and many of the simpler SMPS do not like being run without a load attached.

gordon
Frequent Contributor
Username: gordon

Post Number: 1075

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The data sheet recommends a minimum load of 10% of the maximum output current. I couldn't see whether the module is output short current protected, but they also recommend a fuse on the input so maybe not. Could have been some sort of short on the output, that caused the failure.

http://power.murata.com/data/power/ncl/kdc_mee1.pdf

Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 689

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I noticed the minimum load requirement, but it only warns Lower than 10% minimum loading will result in an increase in output voltage, which may rise to typically 1.25 times the specified output voltage if the output load falls to less than 5%.

Incidentally, I can only get this from Farnell with £20 min order or Mouser (£12 postage!) or Digikey (twice the unit cost of Farnell).

I need 5V in (for sure) 9 out (perhaps 12), 100mA or more (about 1W if 9V out), low profile. This is the only part I've found under 7.5m high and with a decent data sheet.

chippie
Frequent Contributor
Username: chippie

Post Number: 352

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Must be the size of a house at 7.5m high......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

gordon
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1076

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RS have this one that might be suitable. I believe they have no minimum order/free delivery for online orders.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/isolated-dc-dc-converters/6895047/

Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 690

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"7.5m" Ah, er, yes major typo - or "full-brick" perhaps...

I must admit I don't really understand the difference between the NME0509DC and the MEE1S0509DC, except that I think the latter is a newer design.

gordon
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1077

Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the devices. They mention a 1 second output short circuit rating for the NME device, so maybe a bit more rugged?

Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 691

Posted on Friday, 19 June, 2015 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 222

Posted on Friday, 19 June, 2015 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NMx devices were Newport, Murata appear to have taken them over.

Do you definitely need the isolation or just the voltage?

Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 692

Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2015 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need the isolation.

Incidentally, the most recent NME datasheet has deleted all reference to short-circuit tolerance.

(Even the old DS said Short-circuit protection 1 second...Supply voltage must be disconnected at the end of the short circuit duration). So it isn't very tolerant.

Looks like Murata found problems even at that?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page