Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dire DIA problems.

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » Archive through 29 March, 2016 » Dire DIA problems. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 480

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, 19 February, 2016 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
I am trying to use the drawing program diaw.exe 0.97.2. Some time back in his column Mike Hibbett recommended this for flowcharts, so I thought I'd give it a go. I find that it repeatedly crashes, and has to close. Does anyone have experience of this program? I am using it on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Results between crashes are promising, as I work my way up the learning curve, so I'd like to persist if there is anything I can do to make it more stable.
With regards, Paul

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 481

Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Further to above, a message sometimes comes up saying "Runtime error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.", and on hitting the print screen key "Insufficient memory to create the bitmap. Close one or more applications to increase available" - unfinished message finishing with "memory" presumably.

I have 2GB DRAM (the max. possible), and there is no other applications running. There is often a short burst of disc activity immediately before the crash.

With regards, Paul.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 482

Posted on Monday, 22 February, 2016 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And more - a new error message saying :-
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Runtime error!"
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."
"Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Can anyone offer any hints as to what the problem is?

With regards, Paul.

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 679

Posted on Monday, 22 February, 2016 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it could be that the version of C++ on your PC is out of step with the version expected by the program;causing it to 'tread on its toes' so to speak.
i find XP to behave quite well with modern programs;as long as its fed the current versions of the supporting utilities used as a basis for the programs.but ONLY upgrade if/when an error occurs,as some 'updates' are real space-hogs;and can create more problems than they solve,run on older hardware,or not
try re-installing the C++ files direct from microsoft;then re-install the troublesome program.XP is a sloppy housekeeper,and just LOVES to leave broken links all around the place...

istedman
Frequent Contributor
Username: istedman

Post Number: 400

Posted on Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?
Sometimes this helps with CAD/drawing software.

I tried dia on Win 7, it worked fine. Will try an XP Virtual machine, if I can remember where it is.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 483

Posted on Wednesday, 24 February, 2016 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ian and Ian for your replies.
I was beginning to wonder about the currency of C++ on my machine when I (eventually!) got the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" error.
I have recently updated XP from Microsoft's site, 11 updates for .NET Framework 4, and 1 x Malicious Software Removal Tool. (And I thought XP wasn't being supported anymore.)

I don't know how to update a C++ Runtime Library however - I can't find any likely files. Could you give me some pointers please?

I'll check the graphics card driver, although I did look at that one several years ago, and as this is an older machine there may not be anything available. I'd be interested in your XP sim results for Dia.

With regards, Paul.

(Message edited by bowden_p on 24 February, 2016)

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 484

Posted on Wednesday, 24 February, 2016 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Istedman,
I updated the Video Driver - the first re-boot wasn't very promising, with a lot of screen re-writing and glitches, but subsequent re-boots appear back to normal. However, DIA still crashes.
Thanks for your suggestions however.
With regards, Paul.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page