Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

SDHC card woes.

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » Archive through 22 July, 2016 » SDHC card woes. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 506

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
My wife is an avid picture-taker. She wanted to view some shots from 2 of her SD cards, but found the photos didn't display. I looked and found that a folder contained many .jpeg files, but very few would display at all.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer errors with "No preview available.", and trying to copy to the desktop gives the message :- "Cannot copy RIMG0026. The parameter is incorrect.". ( RIMG0026 being a picture file.)

The picture folder appears intact due to the long listing of contents, each about 1.4MB in size. Can anyone suggest possible solutions to access the picture files ?

With thanks, Paul.

lutin
Frequent Contributor
Username: lutin

Post Number: 81

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried PhotoRec?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 507

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lutin,
Have just read the description of your suggestion. Have you used PhotoRec?
With regards, Paul.

lutin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 82

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Paul

I've used it to retrieve some files from a hard disk. I have heard very good things about it.

It might be worth going it a go.

Edit: I've just used it to recover some files from an old SmartMedia card (told you it was old) and it worked beautifully.

Tony

(Message edited by lutin on 11 June, 2016)

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 508

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lutin,
Have downloaded and am running PhotoRec, but as it's a command window type program I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but having a go anyway!
With regards, Paul.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 509

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far it's spent 20 minutes in pass 0, no output.
I'll let it run !
With regards, Paul.

lutin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 83

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the command line interface does put people off I suppose. However, there is some very good documentation under that link I posted earlier and a google search will throw up a whole load more.

Good luck.

Tony

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 510

Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears to have completed a Pass 1 without any recovered files, and has started again. A bit disappointing really, when the directory appears intact. Perhaps I haven't set it up right, as I don't understand most of the tech. terms used.
Will try again another day.
With regards, Paul.

trevor
Username: trevor

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, 12 June, 2016 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you view the images when the card is in the camera?

If so, you might want to try a different card reader or connect the camera directly to the PC (possible with some, not sure about your unnamed camera).

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 511

Posted on Sunday, 12 June, 2016 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi trevor,
The camera is a RICOH Caplio R6, 7.2Mpixels. I have been using a PNY Combo USB and memory card reader.

Last night I managed to copy about 300 photos by drag-and-drop to my PC, then that stopped working, and even previously transferred files would no longer transfer, giving the error as above - "The parameter is incorrect.".

It's odd, but initially I had almost no success with the drag-and-drop transfer, then it started working on another attempt, but only for a while.

Unfortunately the camera battery needs charging - my wife can't remember if the cards will read or not in the camera. My recall is that they didn't, but I'll have to wait for the recharge to find out.

I guess you are thinking the card memory might transfer direcly to the PC. I've never tried that with this camera, but I believe it's possible. ( It has a mini-USB socket.)

With regards, Paul.

p.s. Just tried the cards in the camera - no contents visible, and the cards seem to hang up the camera too - they have to be removed to get functionality back!!

(Message edited by bowden_p on 12 June, 2016)

(Message edited by bowden_p on 12 June, 2016)

lutin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might well be telling you stuff you already know, but here's a brief guide -

1) In the initial screen select media and then "Enter" to poceed

2) Next screen shows details of card/partition selected. Use "arrow keys" to select either "Search", "Options", "File Opt" or "Quit". Select "Search" and hit "Enter".

3) On the next screen seelct "Other" of the two options available - hit "Enter".

4) On this screen select whether "Free Space" or "Whole Disk" is to be searched. Select "Whole".

5) On this screen select the destination for any recovered files. Press "C" when correct folder has been selected. Recovery process will start.

6) If successful the program will report that recovered files have been saved.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 512

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lutin,
Have followed your instructions, and some files now seem to be recovering - .jpg files as expected. I don't know where they are going however! Will have a look when the process finishes.

Can you tell me what the "." or ".." mean when selecting a destination? ( Up 1 or 2 levels of directory?) This didn't seem to do anything when selected.

With thanks for your help, Paul.

(Message edited by bowden_p on 13 June, 2016)

lutin
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 85

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Paul

You do have to be careful to select the destination directory. However, the files will be saved - just not where you thought they should have been saved to.

Tony

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 513

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lutin,
260 files recovered so far, although the process sometimes stutters, and the time to completion reported sea-saws wildly! Its now getting close to the 313 files I managed to recover just by drag-and-drop previously. Hope it continues beyond this.
With regards, Paul.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 514

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still going at 423 files recovered. The sector number hops about a lot too. There is a total of about 1000 photos on this card.

It seems to be building folders "recup_dir.n" in the "testdisk-7.0.win" folder on the desktop.

With regards, Paul.

(Message edited by bowden_p on 13 June, 2016)

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 515

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, 1346 photos recovered from one card, now for the other!

This one isn't looking so good, every sector is an error, and no files recovered so far.

After 2 attempts, no files recovered.

Ah-well, 50% is better than 0%!!

Thanks to Lutin and trevor for your help.

With regards, Paul.

trevor

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of hints for your wife for the future:

1) Always copy the photos off the card(s) each day.

2) Always reformat the card(s) in the camera after 1).

14 years and nary a photo lost, except when my wife did 2) for two days in a row without 1) but then PhotRec recovered all but a handful of the 200 odd photos.

As for the current cards, I'd suggest binning them and buying a couple of new ones on the principle of better safe than sorry :-)

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 516

Posted on Thursday, 16 June, 2016 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Trevor,
Many thanks for the advice. I have advised her to bin the troublesome ones. However we did an experiment of re-formatting, then taking some photos, and both then worked perfectly!

Both cards are TDK, so I'll now void TDK cards. She has 8 other cards of assorted makes, some older than these 2 troublesome ones, and all those work perfectly!

It's a real shame about the one that didn't recover, I think there were some photos of aged relatives now passed on. Ah-well, such is life.

Thanks again to you both for your help, Paul.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1731

Posted on Wednesday, 22 June, 2016 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to scan a TF card to recover lost files, and as a by the way the program qphotorec_win.exe gives you a somewhat better Windows front end. Just double-click it to run.

Alan W
Alan W -- EPE

More online resources at EPEMag.net

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 518

Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep the name should I ever need to recover files again. My wife has been busy reviewing all her SD cards and photos, and transferring them to her PC. As this has a solid-state disc, I think she should write them to a CD or something, for long-term storage!
With regards, Paul.

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 295

Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, never store anything on a single medium, CD or DVD is hardly adequate either, they deteriorate according to quality, storage conditions etc.

Flash media, SD or even SSD drives are only of use for people who don't actually want to keep their data.

My current solution includes a personal 'cloud' hosted at my partner's place, Dropbox 1TB and at least two different machines here.

The only real problem I have is finding 'stuff' in among the myriad of locations but that's my own fault for not being as neat as I could be.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 519

Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi cjay,
I guess it depends on how concerned you will be if something does get totally lost due to media deterioration. In the case of my wife's photos, the CD could be re-copied on an occasional basis to keep the data "fresh".

Just how long does a CD recording last, and what is the best way to store them?

With regards, Paul.

trevor

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

> Just how long does a CD recording last, and what is the best way to store them?

My experience with commercial music CDs is that they start to deteriorate after 20 years. At the 25 year mark, just over half my box set of the Beatles is now unreadable.

I understand that home recorded CDs last a shorter time, though it depends on the actual medium.

I haven't looked at CD blanks in a while (not since 2002), but when I used to look after the manufacture of data CDs by Sony Australia, the only recordable CD brand that were never rejected were the Mitsui Gold CDs. Kodak, Panasonic, Verbatim and Philips brands were often rejected as already having too many bit errors from which to make a glass master. As it cost the company a few hundred dollars each time the other brands were rejected, I eventually stuck with the Mitsui Gold discs which were problem free, and a little more expensive in packs of 50 than the others (about 25%).

cjay
Frequent Contributor
Username: cjay

Post Number: 296

Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Commerical pressed CDs, I've got some from the very first CD player I bought, about two years after they were released that still play, others from five years ago that aren't even recognised as CDs.

CD-Rs, I've had them die and become unreadable in under a year.

Storage of CD-R disks needs to be dark and cool, the dye degrades.

Similarly DVD-R or +R.

I believe the archival grade disks are considerably better but even then, they should be stored properly.

Personal preference, while I dislike 'the cloud' it's a handy and very cheap if not free way to store multiple synchronised copies.

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 522

Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi trevor and cjay,
Thanks for the info, and there was me thinking that CDs were a very durable medium. Better advise the wife to keep them sealed in black plastic, and stored in the 'fridge !!

With regards, Paul.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page