Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

PICs and Pickit3

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » Archive through 22 July, 2016 » PICs and Pickit3 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

evanvenn
Just joined
Username: evanvenn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 09 July, 2016 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to the article in June 2016 there are very good alternative IDEs to program PICS and AVR.

One is Great Cow BASIC.

Great Cow BASIC supports Microchip and AVR 8-bit micro-controllers, has an excellent IDE, supports PK2, PK3, AvrDude, Bootloaders (the list goes on and on), extensive Help, extensive demonstration code etc. etc.

As an Open Source project the users get the help of the community and of industry too. Microchip have been most helpful in supporting the project in terms of micro-controllers, boards and IP.

I just wanted to make sure that you all are aware of another capable IDE available today. The Great COW BASIC IDE, and the Great Cow Graphical BASIC is a fast and easy method to achieve PIC and AVR based projects.

It takes a few seconds to program a PIC, the same code can be used to program and AVR. A goal of Great Cow BASIS was to make programming very simple.

I supported the recent Maker Faire in London. I had children between 8 and 13 program a traffic light system in minutes and the event was fun!

The latest release, June 2016 has the following:

• Support for the Xpress Evaluation board including a host of demonstrations for the Xpress Evaluation board.
• New GCB utility to load hex file into Microchip Xpress board.
• Improved performance to increase productivity and to reduce compilation time.
• Ethernet support for ENC28J60 adapter with a full TCPIP stack. This is a separate download.
• Performance improvements to further improve productivity.
• Improved support for 900+ Microchip and Atmel 8-bit microcontrollers
- Microchip 10F, 12C, 12F, 16C, 16F, 18C and 18F devices. The LF devices are now automatically supported (no need for LF specific chip files).
- AVR microcontrollers Classic AVR, Tiny AVR and Mega AVR devices.
• An IDE to make programming as easy as possible including Help and IDE Helpers.
• 450+ cool project files that showcase the breadth and depth of capabilities of the micro-controllers.
• Support for a large set of supported hardware accessories including I2C drivers adding 2nd I2C support.
• GLCD handling with even more types of GLCD supported.
• New scalable fonts with added support for extended fonts sets.
• Increased support for microcontroller timers by supporting all the available microcontroller timers – this can be up to 12 separate timers.
• Full Windows and Linux version of the Great Cow BASIC Compiler and the toolchain.
• New Windows installer for four different type of installation.
• Plus other new functionality and enhancements or fixes over the previous release – over 190 major changes since the April 2015 release.

Do pop over to SourceForge and get the latest version. https://sourceforge.net/projects/gcbasic/
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mikepokeeffe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: mikepokeeffe

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2016 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey evanvenn,

That sounds like a great package. I'll have to check it out.
I've only used MPLAB v8 and MPLAB X for PICs and Sketch for Atmel/Arduino devices. It would be great to have another option to be able to do either all in the one package.

I'll check it out this evening and get back to you on it.

Thanks for sending it on.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page