Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Radio reception

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » Archive through 21 October, 2016 » Radio reception « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 1127

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi people,
I listen almost exclusively to Radio 3. Unfortunately, to the BBC this station is small beer and it seems that the signal strength resembles the output of a PP3.
Reception of R3 in the car is dire, while that of local stations is not. In this car ( a Focus Mk1 ) the aerial cable is wonderfully buried and cant be replaced without dismantling the car. However, I doubt the cable needs replacing. I've ensured the Earthing is good.
Is it possible to boost the signal?
Frankly I've run out of ideas. Can anyone help?

bruce
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ian_field
Frequent Contributor
Username: ian_field

Post Number: 349

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could take a trick from the regenerative receiver - a tuned single stage amplifier with positive feedback just short of bursting into song. It has very high Q which translates into a lot of gain with a very narrow pass band.

You should put a grounded gate JFET stage in front of that for isolation just in case it ever oscillates accidentally. The input to that is the top of the source resistor, so the antenna input is completely untuned. The drain load can be the inductor for the regen stage. If that isn't enough; you could consider making the input buffer a casc-ode stage, a dual gate MOSFET keeps the component count down.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page