Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Phishing

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » Archive through 09 August, 2017 » Phishing « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bruce
Frequent Contributor
Username: bruce

Post Number: 1137

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read ARWs article in EPE about phishing. In the article, he reproduces a phishing email which shows how clever the hackers are getting, as it had his name and address.
However, the email clearly stinks: the syntax and grammar are clearly written by someone whose first language isn't English, but gibberish.
I'm a stickler for this stuff and the minute I get an email from someone who cant spell, or be bothered with capital letters or for who 'syntax' is something to do with the Inland Revenue, I dive for the 'delete' button.
Be careful out there
Bruce

twintub
Frequent Contributor
Username: twintub

Post Number: 420

Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@bruce
"cant spell"
can't spell!

Oh, the irony!

I'm no better though; I can't spot my howlers until after I press the 'upload' button. I blame it on undiagnosed mild dyslexia!

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1138

Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, yeah; it's easy to mock. In fact, I put that there to see if anyone could spot the deliberate mistake.
BTW, can I have your PIN number?

B

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1845

Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mainly I was demonstrating how scammers are fine-tuning their spearphishing to include your first name and home address in an attempt to pique the interest of the recipient enough into opening the Word file attached.

I have some elderly relatives who immediately fall for this kind of thing, including stumping up hard cash to Indian scammers pretending to be Microsoft or BT.

A
Alan W - EPE
Email alan@epemag.net

More online resources at EPEMag.net

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 778

Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had such a classic recently filtered into spam by avast.
claiming to be 'Mr Dwell McDwell' of 'United Nation organization London'
maybe his timing was out a few degrees;his dictionary is clearly off the mark!
i never realised so many of the 'US forces serving in afghanistan' where finding bags of 5 bzillion dollars with no way to get it home;poor guys...

(Message edited by hackinblack on 19 May, 2017)

bruce
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 1139

Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English is a rich and subtle language. Most phishers and spammers don't have it as their first language and their attempts to write it are just comical. Even Americans mostly have real difficulty with gentle English self-deprecating irony. At least it gives us a head start in spotting a turkey when we see one.
OOO

Bruce

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page