Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

EPE demographics from August 2007

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » EPE demographics from August 2007 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

trevor
Frequent Contributor
Username: trevor

Post Number: 56

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking through the August 2007 EPE I noticed the following statistics and demographics for EPE subscribers on the "rate card" on p29:

20,000 copies of EPE distributed monthly. 3,000 subscribers mainly in the UK, but a large market in USA, Australia, NZ and Canada.

READERSHIP PROFILE

o 60% of our readers buy from mail order advertisers
o 67% of our readers buy 10 or more issues of EPE per year
o 75% of EPE readers do not regularly read any other electronics magazine
o 90% of our readers have PCs (a further 6% have access to a PC)

EMPLOYMENT PROFILE

o 14% trainees/students
o 12% engineers
o 3% teachers
o 19% technicians
o the rest (52%) class themselves as hobbyists

AGE PROFILE

o 8% under 18
o 7% 18-21
o 13% 22-29
o 15% 30-39
o 23% 40-49
o 14% 50-60
o 20% over 60

I wonder what these figures are now, a decade on...}

tandy
Frequent Contributor
Username: tandy

Post Number: 80

Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly Wimborne publishing were using the same figures in 2012 on their rate card. I suspect despite their best efforts the magazine market is difficult and probably seen a decline in numbers.

I imagine 100% of readers have a computer or access to one now. The age profile has probably shifted with the 23% now being in the 50-60 range. People who grew up with magazines still appreciate them but younger generations don't really see the point and expect to find all information for free on the internet.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1861

Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, but when you think about it it's not their fault if they expect everything as a free download (galling though that is). They live in a different era from us and they are the first generation never to have known life without the Internet. Sadly, our culture created them and their instant gratification, effortless, painless and entitled expectations.

Just my 2˘ worth.
Alan W - EPE
Email alan@epemag.net

More online resources at EPEMag.net

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure it's that the younger generation(s) don't see the point of magazines and expect all the information to be available for free on the Internet. Hobbies generally seem in decline across the board.

The local model aeroplane club is failing to attract new (younger) members despite hosting national events and even promotion on the local TV news and in the local newspaper. The average age is now approaching 60.

The national (Australian) model railway club is failing to attract new members - their latest magazine mentions the current volunteer members are all aging.

Stamp collecting is no longer something that attracts the young.

The only local clubs that still attract large numbers of the young are all sports clubs. Despite living in a (large) country town, every sport known to man is available from baseball (!) to shooting, and of course the four football codes (AFL, NRL, ARU and soccer).

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1862

Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are however some 20+ model railway and hobby magazines in UK WHSmith news stands.

It's a dad + kids or retirement reminiscing thing. Same happens with EPE actually.

As we've said many times there is a lot more competition for a kid's pocket money these days.
Alan W - EPE
Email alan@epemag.net

atferrari
Frequent Contributor
Username: atferrari

Post Number: 1799

Posted on Friday, 18 August, 2017 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, look how long it takes the interest on new things to vanish. Very little. Less and less.

Do you recall people in huge flocks chasing Pokemons in the streets? Where are they today?
Agustín Tomás - Buenos Aires - Argentina

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 801

Posted on Saturday, 19 August, 2017 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from what i've seen;they fell of cliffs
watching their gameboys instead of where they are walking...the surviviors seem to be running the worlds financial institutions;or maybe i'm wrong?

arw
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1863

Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What goes round comes round, once they realise what they're missing -- look at how vinyl sales are skyrocketing comapred with CDs.

Reading a magazine or propping it open on the workbench while you write on it is a tactile thing that does not compare with reading a PDF on a tablet. (Ymmv.)
Alan W - EPE
Email alan@epemag.net

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 62

Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 01:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

> Reading a magazine or propping it open on the workbench while you write on it is a
> tactile thing that does not compare with reading a PDF on a tablet. (Ymmv.)

'Course, you can always print the PDF which I've been known to do because on a tablet you can't look at two pages at the same time (without two tablets anyway).

mikepokeeffe
:::: Super User ::::
Username: mikepokeeffe

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit, I do prefer getting a copy of the physical magazine compared to a digital copy. There's something nice about the tactile.

I've often thought one of the greatest problems of storing any information digitally, whether it be photos or documents is that at some point, the supported file types may render your historical files difficult to access. I have hard drives I can't easily access anymore and CD's and DVD's that haven't stood the test of time. But I still have EPE magazines from when I was a kid that will be around for decades longer than any technology and they will always be supported.

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 04:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talking of issues with accessing old data files, I've just managed to retrieve the Micro Lab Monitor Software from a 3.5" floppy disk from 1993 without any problems!

I did have to dig out my old IBM i1400 Thinkpad Celeron 466MHz with Windows 98 from 1999 to find a floppy drive. Hoarding one's old laptops has its advantages :-)

davejs
Frequent Contributor
Username: davejs

Post Number: 97

Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" look at how vinyl sales are skyrocketing comapred with CDs."

Rates alongside the election of Trump and Brexit in the gullibility of the modern population.

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 2084

Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The snowflakes don't play the vinyl, they just buy it for the album covers.

I'm still shocked that I can't get a new stylus for a Shure V15 that I bought in 1974.

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@zeitghost - see for replacements:

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/replacement-stylus-for-cartridge-model-v15-rs

zeitghost
Frequent Contributor
Username: zeitghost

Post Number: 2086

Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers.

I think it was the beryllium cantilever that killed it.

Discontinued more than 10 years ago.

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 807

Posted on Friday, 25 August, 2017 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was bemused at seeing 'heavyweight pressed vinyl albums' on sale here;they looked like something from the Flintstones;printed in uzbekistan,on cereal packets.and at 35euros each? you could get the originals for less...but why bother? the dynamic range,noise floor,distortion etc are all far superior on ANY CD! after all a groove is a groove;the physics won't change!
truly silly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page