Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

10F322 device ID error

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » EPE Chat Zone » 10F322 device ID error « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor
Username: hackinblack

Post Number: 808

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2017 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

working with an 8-pin DIL package 10F322 PIC,using MPLAB IPE (just for programming)i get a 'device ID error' waring before connection:-
ID error
yet;when i ignore the warning and connect,then read the actual devices ID,and view it in 'memory','device ID' it shows the correct value (29C0)!
has anyone else experienced this quirk/bug?

It IS a pity the PICKit3 standalone app has been abandoned...it works far more reliably than this IPE garbage...

i can't beleive how flaky it is...after 2 different IPE version installs (3.30 and 3.65), trying no less than three revisions of PICKit3 hardware;and the mystical driver switching ritual;the only thing in common is it is complete pants
it does appear to program however;as i managed to load the demo code for the 10F322 PICDEM board into the chip,and verify it.whether or not it actually IS...?
the object of the project,a DIY stripboard version,to save the fat end of 30euro and 5 days delay...
application/octet-stream322 factory code
PIC10F32x_Source_Code.X.production.hex (0.5 k)

phonoplug
Frequent Contributor
Username: phonoplug

Post Number: 450

Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2017 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't surprise me. PK3 has many quirks. On the other hand you don't many programmers and debuggers that versatile for £30! If it programs ok then thats the main thing I guess.

I've found similar issues before even with the £500 ProMate 3.

Is there anything about this in the errata sheets for the PIC or PK3 release notes?

trevor
Frequent Contributor
Username: trevor

Post Number: 71

Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2017 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@hackinblack Are you sure you're using a 10F322?

The PIC10F322 device ID is 0x2980
The PIC10LF322 device ID is 0x29C0

bowden_p
Frequent Contributor
Username: bowden_p

Post Number: 583

Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2017 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hackinblack,
I have at the back of my memory that there was maybe an issue when the PICKit3 was used to power the target during programming. The requested o/p voltage wasn't as expected ? ( Voltage is lower than programmed.)

Could be I am not remembering correctly, but it might be worth checking it.

With regards, Paul.

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 809

Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in reply;i double double-checked that i hadn't been sent the LF parts by mistake;but no,they are (both)marked as '10F322 I/P RU3 1386' but this has now become a side-issue:-

it seems there is a bit of a bug in IPE 3.65;it just refuses to work properly.even connecting to a 10f202 will only work if:-
1.I update the firmware from MPLAB 8.92 FIRST
2.THEN open IPE 3.30 and lower the target voltage to 4.65V,AND select 'power target circuit from tool'(repeatedly,EVERY time IPE is opened...is isn't sticky...even in 'advanced' mode!)

note:-trying to 'auto' or 'manual' download OS firmware, inside the IPE,has no effect on success.

these results where with a PICkit3 revision 4 version.(which is my oldest one),normally left with the standalone firmware on it for the PICkit3 stadalone App. unfortunately this doesn't support newer parts such as the 10f322;hence the problem!

whats more baffling is the firmware 'JAM' file supplied with IPE 3.30 is the same one that ships with 3.65!
the exact same PK3 will read verify and everything else expected under both MPLAB 8.92 and the standalone app,so it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.
BUT,to get it to talk to MPLAB-X IDE it have to manually select the very same firmware that it 'should' load automatically,and select it for loading...
the old saying 'you can't get there from here' springs to mind! along with 'let sleeping dogs lie'
the plot thickens..well thats used up just about all the common sayings

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 810

Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update:- after searching 'Properly' through the device support for the PICkit3,in the standalone app. dropdown boxes,i found the 10f322 IS supported!

but i was looking under 'baseline',not 'midrange',as i wrongly assumed that all 10F partswhere,well,baseline...!
and it is hidden away under the 'midrange/1.8V minimum'category

not only that but;i also found that with the newer modified device dat file(1.62.14)here:-

application/x-zip-compressedPK2 dat file zipped
PK2DeviceFile.zip (22.0 k)

the 10f322,amongst many others,is also supported by the good old PICKit2 what's more; it seems to program faster then the PK3 does(even after the PK3 has finished farting about with firmware!)
My recipe for success is:-
PICKit2 Standalone app V2.61.00
Device file v1.62.14 (attatched above)
OS firmware 2.32.00 (download within Pickit2 app)
simply save the old dat file safely away somewhere,and copy the new one into the program files\Microchip\PICKit 2 v2 folder,(where the .EXE file lives)
when you re-start the app; bingo! mucho new devicesyou are able to read the device ID (CORRECTLY!)program and verify like a happy thing on a good day.
the PICKit2 lives again! (and this is an old black-button version!)

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While data file 1.62.14 was the last "official" data file for the PICkit2, many later versions have been created by people using the PICkit 2 Device Data File Editor which you can find at https://sites.google.com/site/pk2devicefileeditor/
A search of the Microchip Forums will often turn up a newly created data file for an otherwise unsupported device.

More information on using the editor is at http://www.microchip.com/forums/m473925.aspx and http://www.microchip.com/forums/m814654.aspx - I have used it in the past to add new devices.

Microchip (fixed) links to "missing" PICkit 2 files and info at http://www.microchip.com/forums/m775322.aspx

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 811

Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the newest dat file i could find which is v1.63.146,was on Chuck Helleybuyck's website here:-
http://www.elproducts.com/
under the tab 'Build your own PICKit2 clone'
there is also another modified file for Great Cow Basic supported parts,with other 8-bit parts in it.

i have been using the one from the mikro pascal site mentioned,which i think went 404 long ago;and it too was modified again later;but i've changed PC's several times since,so its a bit hazy!

It seems as though microchip is changing the programming scheme on some of the newer parts;so the device file editor may be an uphill struggle to keep upto-date on the PK2.
still,there's hundreds that ARE supported to choose from;why struggle?
maybe someone could do a 'best of' dat file compilation

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 73

Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2017 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's various versions of the unofficial 1.63.146 file floating around the ether. The Microchip Forums are fertile ground for PICkit 2 data files to support various chips if you don't wish to pursue the DIY route.

> maybe someone could do a 'best of' dat file compilation

Thanks for volunteering :-)

Another useful tool is the PICkit 2 Script File Editor available at: https://github.com/jorticus/pickit2-editor - there's also a link there to his blog with the details of adding a new script to support a newer PIC24 family of devices. I've not used this one myself as I also have a PICkit 3 as a programmer of last resort ;)

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 813

Posted on Saturday, 16 September, 2017 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting pages! i love the thing along the lines of 'i couldn't wait for the post;so i wrote my own software..'

far from writing my own software;
C error
i can't get the editor to function

trevor
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 75

Posted on Sunday, 17 September, 2017 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the URL to download Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 10.0

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=145727&clcid=0x804

hackinblack
Frequent Contributor

Post Number: 819

Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the saga continues...now i have problems with an ICD3 and the 10F322;after doing the firmware hokey-cokey and playing with power and Vpp settings under MPLAB-X IPE 3.65,along with the annoying pop-up warning about the possibility of having to modify my ICD3 for a slew-rate problem (which is a red herring;as this ICD3 is a later revision hardware...)i simply could not get it to progam/verify.
switched back to v3.30 and bingo...working correctly.
wish i could get rid of that stoopid popup warning though!
i wonder what they broke?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page