Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Oct '14 Headphone Amplifier metal cas...

:: EPE Chat Zone ­:: ­Radio Bygones Message Board :: » Shop Talk » Oct '14 Headphone Amplifier metal case « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

slatorr
Just joined
Username: slatorr

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone out there has taken on this project as I have done. I am having difficulty in sourcing a suitable enclosure and wondered if anyone has any ideas. It is not helped by the fact that I believe that there is a mis-print with the dimensions given. The depth is printed as 125mm but the board is only 98mm wide and it is supposed to be a 'snug' fit. Even allowing for the on-board components 125mm does seem to deep.

Thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1610

Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2014 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that Nick used what is listed as a 1U half rack case. P.25 specifies the steel case as 210mm wide x 49mm high x 125mm deep. The board is specified as 198 x 98mm. I think the photos showed an earlier prototype.

I did look around but some of these seem horribly expensive. I haven't yet identified the one used in the final prototype, so please leave this with me and I'll get guidance from Nick asap.

- Alan W / EPE
Alan W -- EPE

More online resources at www.epemag.net

arw
Board Administrator
Username: arw

Post Number: 1613

Posted on Monday, 24 November, 2014 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Nicholas,

The case I used is Altronics H4995:

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/h4995-1u-9.5-half-rack-case/

Yes, it's expensive but it looks pretty good. Much better than the cheaper plastic one (H4996), which also has slightly different dimensions:

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/h4996-1u-9.5-inch-half-rack-case/

The dimensions I put in the magazine were what Altronics claimed the case was but clearly they were wrong. They've updated their site to now have the correct dimensions (210 x 103 x 38mm). However the dimensions they give for H4996 are wrong, it's actually 121mm deep.

The headphone amplifier PCB won't fit into the plastic case, H4996 without modification but I think it probably would be possible to modify it. You'd have to cut away the ribs on either side of the lower half to get the PCB to fit, and because of the extra depth, the "DC" (low voltage AC) input and RCA input sockets would have to be chassis-mounted and wired up using flying leads. Mounting the board will also be an issue as the feet and integral posts are in different locations. Probably some tapped spacers would have to be attached from underneath using screws.

Of course, if you're going to chassis-mount the rear panel sockets, you could simply use any case that the PCB will fit into.

[Altronics is an Australian Maplin-type retailer. Readers have a choice of ordering direct or finding a substitute and interwire the chassis-mounted parts instead. But I must agree the chosen case makes an extremely nice job of it. - AW]
Alan W -- EPE

More online resources at www.epemag.net

slatorr
Just joined
Username: slatorr

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, 26 November, 2014 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the feedback and after some consideration have decided to go with the specified case despite the expense - it does look good

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page